Aqua Finn: opinions

drjay44

Well I cannot find any new Sunfish in the southeast. esp Florida. Couple of older ones on CL but not in great shape.

I have no idea who is buying the Sunfish but they are out of stock!!

I just found a boat called the Aquafinn which looks to be a clone

Aqua Finn Daysailer

Specs look identical. Aquafinn claims hand layed glass and durable. Same weight etc.

I see it has a sleeved sail in a track unlike the Sunfish rings. Good/bad?

Oh yes quite a bit less expensive than a Sunfish.

Anybody know anything about this boat ?

Parts readily available.

Supposedly made for resorts and is very durable but NOT heavier.

The PN is higher but I'm not racing so who cares.

Is this a waste of money? i want a boat and cannot find a sunfish for sale (at least not a new one)

I know that boat pretty well. See them at camps etc. The hulls are fairly thin but take the abuse of campers. Metal rudders and molded in splash rails. Probably one of the more popular clones. Btw they don't sell thru dealers and are great people to deal with and still in production.

I know that boat pretty well. See them at camps etc. The hulls are fairly thin but take the abuse of campers. Metal rudders and molded in splash rails. Probably one of the more popular clones. Btw they don't sell thru dealers and are great people to deal with and still in production.
Thin?

Perhaps, but have you seen the thickness of Sunfish panels from behind? :eek:

Fullscreen capture 642017 70619 PM.bmp.jpg

Yeppers. I've just repaired an amount of holes in the hulls from the scout camp, and its hard to "fair" an edge for glass layups because of the thin-ness. I think the Sunfish might have that "one" extra piece of roving in their layups!!

But I did get some Aquafinn gelcoat direct from the company...dirt cheap too...and it was a very close match. So much so, didn't bother to tint it at all ...white-ish with a hint of yellow.

Last edited:
As a long-time Sunfish guy, I hate to write this, but
For what you want to do, I think that the Aqua Finn will be just fine.

As a long-time Sunfish guy, I hate to write this, but
For what you want to do, I think that the Aqua Finn will be just fine.

I appreciate the honesty. Being on a Sunfish forum I hesitated to mention Aquafinn however it is the only thing I can find at this point.

Thanks again!!

I appreciate the honesty. Being on a Sunfish forum I hesitated to mention Aquafinn however it is the only thing I can find at this point.

Thanks again!!
I'm hearing they'll leak within three-hours of sailing. I read that somewhere.
:rolleyes:

dredging this up to ask a question - anyone know if I can I run the sunfish sail/rings on the aquafinn rigging? I measured my aqua finn upper spar and its right at 13'8".

I have an American 14.6 from the same company. Great people to deal with. They know I bought the boat 4th hand, but still go out of their way to answer questions and help me when they can. Highly recommend the company

Reactions: tag

Back