APS Sails

squash

I was looking at the APS website and found that they make a racing sail for the Sunfish that is less than 1/3 the price of the class-legal racing sail.

http://www.apsltd.com/c-2359-sunfish-sails.aspx

They explained that the sail is of the same quality and design, but that the cost is so much lower because two of the middle-men (Sunfish Class and Laser Performance) have been cut out.

Just think, a sail-maker and a retailer are still making an acceptable profit at one third the cost.

The fact that a sail, or any part that meets all the specifications, is not allowed in racing is the truely sad consequence of a captive class.

Does anyone have experience with these sails?

To throw my opinion out there without giving any details...

I don't have experience with the APS racing sail, but here is a review of the racing sail made by intensity (a great brand and very affordable as well).

There have been a lot of recent discussions regarding Intensity and Pryde sails, with some comment on APS sails. If you go to search up above, and search on Pryde or Intensity you will find the discussions.

The below link touches on several topics, but eventually gets into a big debate on the benefits or lack thereof (I am in the "benefits" camp) of only having one sailmaker. It is good reading on this topic with multiple points of view. But it really does not matter - the manufacturer is not going to change their perspective on this. BB

http://www.sunfishforum.com/showthread.php?t=30674&highlight=intensity

I think the idea, from a racing Class perspective, is that rather than having us held hostage it fees us from having to buy a new sail every time someone makes a better one (or successfully convinces folks that they have built a better sail).

Also, the only time you would have to worry abotu whether your sail is class-legal is at a class-sanctioned event, such as a regionals, masters, midwinters, etc.

There are legit points on both sides, just wanted to clarify.

They explained that the sail is of the same quality and design, but that the cost is so much lower because two of the middle-men (Sunfish Class and Laser Performance) have been cut out.

The Sunfish Class is absolutely NOT a middle man when you purchase a class legal racing sail. All the profit from sails goes to Laser Performance and North sails.

I think the idea, from a racing Class perspective, is that rather than having us held hostage it fees us from having to buy a new sail every time someone makes a better one (or successfully convinces folks that they have built a better sail).

Eric has a very good point. There are plenty of one design classes where people need to buy new sails because a manufacturer produced a superior design. I would much rather pay what we do than be in that situation.

The Sunfish Class is absolutely NOT a middle man when you purchase a class legal racing sail. All the profit from sails goes to Laser Performance and North sails.
More small change for the pot...

I believe this is a fairly common pricing strategy. Having owned and raced other brand boats in other factory classes, the practice of establishing MSRP for support parts and having a no discounting policy in the dealer agreement is not unique to LP by a long shot.

It's also seen in other areas that touch our lives..., ever buy a starter for a car direct from the dealer rather than from an aftermarket auto parts store?

I'm not making an argument pro or con, just the point this isn't a mysterious business practice.

The most powerful votes we cast in our lives are with our dollars..., vote wisely.

Eric has a very good point. There are plenty of one design classes where people need to buy new sails because a manufacturer produced a superior design. I would much rather pay what we do than be in that situation.
Just be thankful Microsoft or Apple don't build Sunfish. ... :rolleyes: Hmmm, the iFish.

Alternately, if we can get every household in America to buy several Sunfish and their pieces and parts per year we can create a WallyFish market with boats selling at $199.00

made in Somalia

I'm a bit of an idiot at times.... I'll give a little back story:

I ordered the APS sail this spring - maybe mid-May or so. it had JUST been added to their website, but only the part number and price. I had seen an ad for it in the spring 2010 catalog. I had called and talked with a guy at APS, and he warned me of a 3 week backorder. I would have (and should have?) just ordered the racing-cut sail from Intensity Sails, but I foolishly saw the photo in the magazine ad (see attached pic), and assumed that the APS sail would have a Sunfish logo. several weeks later, the website was updated, and the picture of the sail didn't have the logo (see attached pic).

I realize the logo is trademarked, but for some reason I foolishly thought APS somehow was able to use the logo. it ended up taking 7 weeks I think to get the sail, and I haven't even used it. I debated sending it back, but have decided to keep it, although I probably won't get around to using it this year.

I don't race, so I didn't see a reason to get the class-approved sail. I wanted the race-cut sail, though, to try sailing with the more powerful sail. if I start class-racing, then I'll pony up for a class-legal sail. that is down the road, though.

cheers,
tag

Attachments

• aps sail ad.jpg
    aps sail ad.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 48
  • aps sail ad (online version).jpg
    aps sail ad (online version).jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 42

Back