APS Sail Pix

paxfish

For those of contemplating a practice sail, here is the APS version in 10 knots of wind...

sail3.jpg

sail1.jpg

Compared to my blown out laser sail, it's great. Not sure how it compares to a new Laser sail tho....

Draft looks a bit far back, but your cunningham is pretty loose as well.

Were you getting any weather helm?

For what it's worth, it looks fantastic compared to my 1980-something 3.2 ounce Laser sail.:D

I would probably buy one of those if they were stitched like radial sails. They last so much longer.

You're smiling instead of grimacing, and you're doing the hand-on-gunwhale style hiking, (a personal favorite of mine in the style department, almost as good as the "one-foot-barefoot waterskiing" hiking technique) so I assume you weren't interested in performance. I'd flatten the sail just enough so that you're not heeling at all.

Having that draft forwards and the sail depowered makes puttering around a lot more fun for me. You're mileage may vary, but I take everything too far- including being lazy.

By the way, I love the second picture. Both pictures do a fantastic job showing the sail's shape.

Just for ease of access, try end-for-ending your vang. With the control line on the deck, it's a lot easier to let off vang than reaching for the line out over the water when you're dead before the wind.

Back