Appraising a laser to set price for sale?

Fabrizio

I'm getting ready to sell my beloved laser and want to set a fair price.
Where to begin? Prices in the for-sale section are all over the place.

Looking for advise/estimates on how to price, given the assessment below, then I'll post to the For Sale section.

Advise would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
-Frank

1996 SLI hull with olympic-edition designs in the gelcoat. A few minor spiderweb cracks (< 1 cm) in the gelcoat on the gunwale above the starboard corner above the transom and on the bow. Finish is still smooth and glossy. The hull is fair and dry. Deck/hull integrity is intact, no observable issues along the glue line or other delaminations. Centerboard and rudder show signs of use and a few chips accumulated over the last 20 years. Some wear along the centerboard box due to very minor bumps/grounding and use in rough water over the years. Mast sections and boom are true, no noteworthy corrosion (definitely not shiny new though), no stress lines or cracks as far as I can tell.

Hull and deck covers used consistently. Slo Sales & Canvas "Top Gun" covers replaced new in 2013
Standard blocks & tackle are in ship shape.
Main sheet and other lines are ready for replacement.
Hiking strap and grab rails replaced new in 2013.

Have a New Numbers 3-8 sail. Stitching in good shape, well maintained. Used lightly < 15 days a year on avg. but old - original equipment.

KittyHawk trailer is in good shape. Wheel hubs maintained and lubed, new tires.

27138062075_07c729882b_b.jpg
255409476_0d1a4fd576_b.jpg

Hi Fabrizio. I have this same boat and trailer, in about the same condition. I paid around $2k a few years ago. Depending on where you are, I think you could expect as much as $2500. With upgraded rigging, maybe $3k.

Have you sold it yet? I'd love to know the result.

@a-rog, yes, it sold for $2000. $1500 for the boat and tackle, $500 for the KH1 trailer. It went to the son of a high school friend who is on a junior racing team and needed a laser. I started racing informally on a private lake at his age (with an older laser) and therefore was very excited it went to an eager young man. I took the time to get the titles and state DMV tags taken care of as I had always sailed on a private lake, never needing them as he will.

Thanks for the reply!!!

Great to hear it went to a young sailor. I'm currently focused on getting my 14-year-old on the water as much as possible.

Wow, if I'd seen this thing for sale a month ago, I would have driven over there and bought it from you myself. Just shows I need to read the forums more often!

Back