Anyone Use a Mainsheet Ratchet Block with Cleat?

pmc7027

Monday I used my new Laser for the first time and realized that in the 25 years since I last sailed my hand and arm strength have waned. I do not have deck cleats on the boat and am considering getting a Ronstan Series 56 Ratchet with Cleat (part # RF 1725) to replace my mainsheet ratchet.

Does anyone use a ratchet with cleat on their Laser mainsheet?

You could always buy a dumbell and work your arms while you watch TV at night or something similar. It shouldn't take long, a month or so.

Ratchet blocks are worth their weight in gold in strong steady wind. Not so useful in gusts and light stuff.

Let's see, first day in a brandy new boat, haven't sailed since youthful exhuberance prevailed over brains, and the water was cold, so you didn't want to swim......oh, and you are on a full rig laser, known to thrill even a jaded keel boater.........

I'd have to guess there was a slight chance you were using a "death grip" on the sheet and tiller. That can be tiring. I have to relearn every Spring to relax, and let the ratchet do it's job, and even to breath more often when fully hiked (over very cold water!).

Take your time, get used to the boat, and if you search on here, you'll find many who say that cleating anywhere is the surest way to swim, and that cleating right at the block is the worst.

Al Russell

yeah, go with the little ronstan or harken blocks and mount up front on the lip of the cockpit. check with one of the locals(obergs or skip m) on where the small amount of blocking wood is beneath the deck. drill and use sealant. it's a 30 minute job and worth it to have when you really need 'em.

Whatever you do don't get a cleat for the mainsheet. It will only get in the way on those really heavy days when you need to let it out. A good ratchet should do the trick and like Chainsaw said, use those dumbells.

The next first time you have to race in light air and have to sit on top of the deck-mounted cleat, you will curse the day you installed them on the boat.

Trust me on this one. You don't need to go to the gym. Go to the sporting goods store and get like a 10-15 lb. dumbbell. Do a few reps a day, and you will build up the required muscle in no time. On a gusty day, your reflexes are nowhere near fast enough to uncleat in time.

Laser sailors don't let other laser sailors cleat the mainsheet.

Ive got deck mounted cleats and my advive would be to get the smallest possible, im not sure what ive got but ive never had a problem with sitting on them and it makes life much easier in strong winds.

I have used a cleat on the block for 25 years. I did not want holes in the deck. It is the 3 inch harken with cleat mounted upsidedown at the highest position.

To cleat it for a long upwind leg, you must grip the mainsheet and then press your forward foot on the mainsheet between the block and boom. This lifts cleat upward allowing you to cleat. If the cleat is mounted any lower, it will always cleat and is very hard to uncleat.

It does not self cleat on the downwind legs with the highest position.

It works for me. It does make life easier in high winds.

Mainsheet block cleats are evil. Do not get one.

That is, unless you want to sail your boat upside-down under a bridge and out towards the open ocean whilst you are sitting on the upturned hull.

If you capsize when the main is cleated it will most likely turtle. Then unless you can find the mainsheet and uncleat it, it will be pretty difficult to pull it back upright again.

dude isnt this what its al about sailing your boat upsidedown under a bridge heading for open ocean. lol :) its funner then you think...

anyways if tit capsizes while you have the main cleated either reach over and un cleat before it turtles or swimm under and get it... its allot eiser then sompeople say it is.

well if your using deck cleats and your holding onto the tail you can uncleat it in less than a second, also i sail on a resivour so its really not an issue.

well for some of us who do sail on the ocean andwould like to keep thier canadian, american, british or assuie citizenship. might take this seriously.

although as i said before they are pretty quick to release if you capsize properly. if not i just the matter of swimming under and uncleating it. which is realy cool cause the cockpit is a big air bublbe.

Keith Wilkins won SEVERAL Masters World Championships using the centerline swivel cleat. I would be very careful about saying something will not work until you have tried it.

Obviously, you don't want to cleat the sail very often, but it sure would make tacking easier.

Chris

(I am also 50 and) I restarted sailing in a Laser earlier this year (having been sailing larger boats for many years). As it was not too heavy air, my arms survived, but not my fingers. I had great problems keeping a grip on the mainsheet and my finger muscles were painful after a bit (I don't have and don't want cleats)

Another thing I thought was that my tiller extension was too long and I wanted to cut it shorter. Fortunately I refrained and I'm now much more used to it.

I think a lot of things are personal choices but one thing I would definitely advise is not to rush to make changes that are difficult to change back (e.g. that leave holes in the boat). It does take time for muscles to get back in the swing, to get the feel of how things work and there must be nothing more annoying than having these cleats under your bum when you never use them. Give it plenty of time before drilling holes, etc.

Ian

Back