Anyone out there?

Bradley

Admin/Operations
Staff member
Not much going on here lately....Its a little cold for sailing here in Alabama...highs around 45. I feel bad for those of you up in the north. I can't wait for the weather to warm up again!

I think the solution to the cold is head south. I just got back from a week sailing in the Dominican Republic.

Speaking of heading south, who is going to FL in March?

Ha! I just went sailing this weekend - just south of Santa Fe New Mexico at Cochiti Lake.

http://www.boatownersofcochiti.com/

So warm that I was in shorts, T-shirt and barefoot. About 60F. I did put on a yellow rain slicker as the spray was cold.

Wind was about 14 mph, but the direction kept oscillating 30 degree's or so with a few extra gusts but not unmanageable. The water was cleaner than usual, a nice cold-greenish color. Oh yea the water was cold. There was one other sailboat - a Catalina 22, and 4 kayaks and a few fishing boats. The lake is wake less so it keeps the MTV crowd away.

My 3 years old son played with his Tonka trucks with his little brother for an hour on the beach or so and then he wanted a ride.
Got him all suited up and went for a 30 minute spin on the Sunfish, he likes it when the sunfish "sings" to him. (The vibration hum at a good clip of speed).
My sons are the 5th generation of sailors in my family, dating back to my Great grand fathers yacht on the Baltic out of Riga Latvia. The sunfish is their first boat.

I have a new recreation sail and this was its 4th time out so I did spend some time retying it as I probably didn't do the best job the first time and it probably stretched a tiny bit, just a few scallops, but now good and smooth. If the weather gets crappy I will put in the inspection ports, but right now I would rather sail.

Erik

I'm in upstate NY and havent sailed since Columbus day weekend. I cant wait for the ice to melt and for it to get a little warmer around here.

Water temp on Lake Norman, NC is a bit undert 50. Thought about going out in a wetsuit but thought better of it. We start to get decent weather in March so will just do some cosmetic repairs in my garage.

Clyde

We have real winter her in Upstate NY (Syracuse/Finger Lakes area) with about 2' of snow on the ground and more coming. Great skiing but no sailing until the foot of ice on Cazenovia Lake melts.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Hey Alan

Remember it well. Many years ago I lived on Seneca Lake. The water never even warmed up in the middle of summer!

Retired to NC 11 years ago after 30 odd years in the NYC area where I did the bulk of my Sunfishing.

Clyde

After I had cleaned the ice off my car (out in the cold on the street), I patted my fish (waiting in the garage for better times) with my (by now frozen) hand.

I'm going to Florida in March. And I'm gonna practice before I go - I'm not going to tell you about the weather and water temp in Charleston, that wouldn't be nice.

Oh, yeah, still out here. Spending WAY too much time with a snow shovel in my hand and heavy clothes head to foot. We've only had 108" so far ... at the halfway point of sn** season (no four letter words, please). The lake is solid and too much snow on it for iceboating (easily 2-1/2 feet right now). Today's excitement is a light coating of freezing rain. Tomorrow's promise is 35 degrees, the 1st time above freezing since 1/4. Then it's back to the deep freeze again ... Hard to think about sailing when it's so darn cold and times are so tight. Looking forward to spring. Saw some bright colored items in the store the other day and they looked almost surreal. Sunfish is in the shed and can't even be reached. No trip to Florida this year ...

"...Water temp on Lake Norman, NC is a bit under 50. Thought about going out in a wetsuit but thought better of it..."
A few years ago, I considered Lake Norman as a retirement destination. Right about then, I learned that a Lake Norman speedboat had crossed the Interstate and got hit by a pickup truck! :eek:

I'd think better of going out there, too. ;) :rolleyes:

Not much going on here lately....Its a little cold for sailing here in Alabama...highs around 45. I feel bad for those of you up in the north. I can't wait for the weather to warm up again!

Ahh, you southerners ... That's a warm year for the Great Pumpkin at Johnson Slough! I've raced that one in the snow!

Water temp on Lake Norman, NC is a bit undert 50. Thought about going out in a wetsuit but thought better of it. We start to get decent weather in March so will just do some cosmetic repairs in my garage.
Clyde

I met a bunch of sailors from Anchorage at a US Sailing Level I training a while back. Their water only gets UP to 50! Here in the Midwest the has been life jackets optional once water is up to 50. Wetsuit? I don't need no stinkin' wetsuit! I just need some soft water!! :confused::rolleyes::eek::D

It's 25 degrees outside, my drysuit has a leak, there's a foot of snow outside my door, and three inches of ice on all of the ponds. The last snow/ice storm blew the tarp off my Sunfish, so it's got 6 inches of ice encrusted snow on it.

I had to go to the Providence Boat Show yesterday to get my sailing fix. Only LaserPerformance and Hobie had sailboats there. Everything else was powerboats

Clyde

Clyde, tell me more about the wetsuit sailing, if you would. I have a suit, poly socks and underwear but wonder what else I need. Should I wear the l/s rashguard under? ANything needed over top? I'm kind of clueless on at what temp do you start adding more. I'd probably not going out if it's below 55 degrees air temp. Thanks in advance for the advice, regards, Winever.

BTW, I'm over in New Bern and a total newbie with a Fish.

It's winter in Colorado too - boat's in garage but starting to think of warmer days , upgrades and the Western Regional scheduled for 7/18 & 19th @ The Aspen Yacht Club. Start planning your summer vaca. now! Temps of 70's during the day, mid 40's at night in Basalt, CO!

I did the leak/pressure test to my newly acquired '74 sunfish this weekend when the temp got up in the 50s. Couldn't find the leak. I think an inspection port and then I'll be able to dry it out instead of worrying about it. Next is sanding and painting the rudder & dagger boards of both fish.

I can't wait to go to Florida in March.
Better in March than at present: There are freeze warnings for tonight...in Miami!

shocked.gif

Warm water is at least 3 - 4 months away here in Michigan. Subjected myself to a little self torture last weekend........made the trip to Chicago for the Strictly Sail Boat Show.:eek: Now I really can't wait until spring!

The weatherman is calling for temps. in the sixtys over the weekend here in NC. If he got that one right Ill be out on Kerr Lake this Sunday.

Back