Anyone ever wash a sunfish sail in s wasking machine?

po-man,

Most people do not recommend washing a sail in a regular (top loadiing) washing machine because the rotating agitators can chafe the sailcloth in rather destructive ways. However, for a very dirty or stained sail, I will admit to taking it to a laundramat and using the medium size front loader machine with a small amount of laundry detergent and maybe half a cup of liquid OxyClean. The front loader machines don't have agitators; the tub just tumbles rubbing the cloth against the cloth, probably no more traumatic than using a soft scrub brush on the cloth on a flat surface.

However, never put a sail in a dryer especially if the sail has self-adhesive patches or racing numbers as the heat may cause the patches/numbers to peel off. The heat may also break down the resin in the sailcloth shortening its working life. Just let the washed sail air dry.

I have a feeling others have different takes on this question, but it's my opinion and I am sticking to it.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Sounds all like good advise to me and sorta what I was thinking. My lady friend just got a new one of those really big rolling tub type washers. I was going to see if she would let me use it. Good tip on the oxiclean too. Thanks

Splurge and go with the largest machine in the laundromat, the one ya use to wash sleeping bags if ya don't have a big enough washer at the house. Woolite detergent is a good choice, you can still add the OxiClean or spray it on the worst stained areas first. Gentle or delicate cycle is a good choice, no need to thrash the sail once it has soaked for a bit. Back in my trucking days, I bought a huge washer just to deal with sleeping bags & sails: I used to treat my Laser sail, let it soak for a bit once the washer tub filled, then let the cycle run to a finish. Air dry the sail, as Alan said above, NEVER put a sail into a dryer with heat, always hoist it to dry, lay it out over an impromptu clothesline, etc., and be mindful of the breeze so the sail doesn't chafe against any nearby objects. :confused:

Another way to wash a sail is to lay it out on a lawn or hosed-down concrete slab, wet the canvas down, gently scrub it with mild detergent like Woolite diluted in warm water, and then thoroughly rinse , letting it air dry as described before. Truth be told, I've used small quantities of mild dish soap diluted in water to wash sails in the past, but Woolite is very gentle and it does a good job on most sails, just don't go overboard with the quantity, only a bit is needed to do the job. The most important thing is to let the sail soak for awhile once ya get the soapy water on it, and that means gently flipping the sail too if ya do it the primitive way. And believe me, I've done it the primitive way MANY times... cleaning the concrete slab of the patio at the ol' hacienda in Coronado at the same time, lol. :rolleyes:

CHEERS, I LIKE THE HANDLE, I'M ABOUT TO GO PO-BOY MYSELF, SINCE I'M CONSIDERING ANOTHER RELOCATION... THAT LAST JOB DID NOT COME THROUGH AFTER ALL, AND I'M READY TO SAIL FOR THE SOUTH PACIFIC & AUSTRALIA. SHOULD'VE BEEN BORN RICH, AYE??? ;)

Sounds all like good advise to me and sorta what I was thinking. My lady friend just got a new one of those really big rolling tub type washers. I was going to see if she would let me use it. Good tip on the oxiclean too. Thanks
:eek: in the new washer.....

What, you've never washed motorcycle parts in the dishwasher? Or cured paint in the oven? And DAMN... you just haven't LIVED if you've never CR@PPED in a Walmart sack, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :eek:

Thanks S.C.
Mine is old original and very soft. Almost like a bed sheet. LOL Seriously. I need to order one from "infinity"... before they go sky high like wood and metal market

Back