Anyone ever lost the wind and....

mixmkr

Still a couple miles from the launch spot? My preferred ramp is about 2 miles back in a cove off the main lake. Around dusk I could see the wind rapidly decreasing, but still a good mile from the cove entrance. By the time I got to the cove with the last two miles to go, the wind dropped to "calm". I wasnt going to paddle two miles, but without rustling about in the boat ( I just laid down in the cockpit), I ghosted along at about a knot. Every boat or SeaDoo wake would stop me almost dead and take another amount of time to get moving. No chop...just glass...so I could whisper along. Took about 2+ hrs for that last little bit.

For this reason....I carefully regard those light wind days and dont stray far. But yesterday got me and I ramped out just after dark.

Any sailor who has sailed for a long time has been becalmed miles from home a few times. Larger boats usually have auxiliary power, but Sunfish, Lasers and the like don't. A one handed paddle is handy as you can paddle and steer at the same time. If you can get up to 2 mph, you can do a mile in 1/2 hour. Yes, plan carefully and stay close to home when the wind is very light.

Alan Glos
Caznovia, NY

Its happened to me more than once this season on the Ohio River while I'm downstream. Try ghosting along back to the start/finish line during a race when you are also fighting a .5 - 1 ft per second current! Stay close to shore and ride the warm air coming off of the shoreline. ;)

Yes....and my phone is in my waterproof pouch...should I need picking up at an alternate location....someday .....

I did use the land breeze at one point. However a 45ft SeaRay wake would shake any shape and wind out of the sail and want to push me ashore!

Back