Anyone ever launched at La Jolla Shores?

hdco1313

Was down there this weekend and was surprised to find out that the place where everyone launches kayaks next to the La Jolla Beach & Tennis Club also allows trailer-launching of small boats. The lifeguard said Lasers would be fine. Also cats, etc.

I'm looking forward to giving this a try. You get to sail out through small surf, the Cove is nearby and the whole area is a (sub)marine park. Right in front of the Beach & Tennis Club lives a huge school of sand sharks that swim around your legs if you go out about 50 feet. They are completely harmless, however.

If anyone's done it, how was it?

www.bottleport.com

If I am thinking of the right place (I spent a week in LaJolla last month), with the snorkel and long distance swim area on the left, the large public beach in the middle and the LJB&TC to the right, yes it looked like it would be feasible to launch a Laser there - the few days I was biking past there it was pretty light air with flat sea and little or no surf - lots to see above and under the water and up by Gliderport and Blacks Beach. ;-)

While it was light air on the ocean, I went and put a Laser in at Mission Bay - the breeze was at least 5-7 kts stronger and on the east side of Vacation Isle, the sun was shining while the beaches on the ocean were under the marine layer...

Yup that's the place. There was not a breath of wind when we were there last weekend but I thought it was probably because of the Santa Ana and how that saps any ocean wind.

I love going out in Mission Bay and wish we had that up here. Just being able to land on a beach wherever you want to is great.

I'll probably give the La Jolla place a shot one of these days.

I have done this.It was crazy I was launching my boat in 10-14 knots of wind and my boat kept powering itself up and flipping while i was trying to get in.

Back