Anyone does laser winter sailing in MA?

bobosail

I already took the bigger sailboat out of the water and on the hard, and really curious about winter sailing around boston. I am planning to purchase an economical laser and possibly don't give up on sailing for the winter season. Looking to know what other do around here, and what kind of gear they use in the winter as well.

Thanks!! g

Thank you guys! Both places look awesome. I am hoping to get a drysuit for my birthday coming up soon, any suggestion? Also I got to admit, I own a j24, and raced it quite hard in the past two summer seasons in south Boston, but as for the laser, I feel very green, and I am hoping to join a group of people that could teach me few things, and give me some needed confidence. Please make your suggestions here as well. I am truly looking forward to some ice floating by my hull and lots of pure fun. Thanks!!

I already took the bigger sailboat out of the water and on the hard, and really curious about winter sailing around boston. I am planning to purchase an economical laser and possibly don't give up on sailing for the winter season. Looking to know what other do around here, and what kind of gear they use in the winter as well.

Thanks!! g

I joined the Winthrop Frostbite Sailing Club a few weeks ago for the same reasons you stated. They also sail Inter Clubs (and Rhodes 19 through December) along with Lasers. The Laser group has been starting to grow lately. Winthrop Frostbite Sailing Club members have been very supportive with my multiple questions about frostbiting and then Lasers. They sail at Cottage Park Yacht Club (CPYC). CPYC is very supportive of ALL levels of sailers. Rank beginners and the hard-core experts can sail together each Sunday at 1 PM and enjoy the afternoon.

I purchased an "economical" 1978 Laser with a trailer for $850. As I investigated the leaking seam, the hull and deck sections separated relatively easily. I was able to replace the "wet" plywood and seal up four of the five access ports. I got to see that this particular Laser had a serious accident early in its life. I do enjoy the "reconstruction" portion of ownership - although not everyone does. The two halves will go back together in the next few days. I need to have it together and re-rigged by this Sunday (Nov 6th) for the first day of Frostbiting!

If you don't have the required equipment (boat, dry suit, etc.), come down and help everyone get organized. The Committee Boat is asking for volunteers.

It should be a good day.
I am looking forward to it since it will also be my very first time trying to sail a Laser...

John

John,

Thank you so much for such a great reply. Your note made me feel so much better about being so green with Laser sailing, and Sunday afternoon sailing sound a whole lot of fun, and its exaclty what I am looking for. I don't have a boat yet, so I am quickly looking for something economical to start and get me going, and all do, I have sailed on a laser before (when I was living in Italy about 20 year ago..) this will be a completely new experience for me. One thing I am not green is for sure is working on boats..:D. I have been around sailboats all my life, and always find a way to trash money into the water bucket, so I can totally understand your own struggles with your boat and the reconstruction problems, and I can share its enjoinment as well.

As for the frostbite goes, I also would love to help and get everyone else organized. I have being on the committee boat before, and do believe, sailing is mostly about sharing fun and the best moment of our life with others. This Sunday would be tough for me to escape from family obbligation, but I am putting down myself for the next one and planning to come over to Winthrop. Thank you again for all the great info and advice, I am looking forward to meeting you there soon, and survive the brutal new england winter, spraying around salt water and having some deserved fun.

Ciao!

You might be able to bring the family down to watch... <grin>

Several members are trying to sell their boats (all models) for various reasons. I have enjoyed learning about the insides of mine. It is amazing how much more affordable a small boat is compared to a larger one. But I am in it for the exercise and the excuse to be out sailing during the winter months. My goal is to finish each race I participate in, and maybe come in ahead of someone before the end of the season.

Go to the Winthrop Frostbite Sailing Club website (www.mass-frostbite.org) for information.

Also, click on the "join our email list" which brings you to the sign up page for the Winthrop Frostbite Yahoo Group. Most of the club information gets passed through the Yahoo Group. There are 141 members of this Yahoo group. Not all will be sailing. Not everyone will be able to sail each week either.

There will be a Laser Regatta on the Sunday after Thanksgiving...

John

Thank you again for such great tips and advices. I guess you already know how hard sometime is to bring the family on to a floating object. :D I used to pray them to come with me on the J24, and once they where on it, it was alway about how much the boat is heeling. :). I am really intrigued by joining you guys at the Winthrop Frostbite for both the exercise and the excuse to sail during the winter months. For some people is hard to understand, but once you put me in salt water sailing away, my brain deleted all the bad and save only the good spot in the everyday life. As for regatta, I am sure I will be the last one for many of them, but that too will be another way to feeling more alive. Since you mentioned that you guys are there pretty much every sunday, I will come over there before the regatta for sure, and perhaps see if I find any boat for sale right there. In the meantime if you know anyone that has a decent but economical boat for sale, feel free to warn them and let them get in touch with me.

Guido

Guido,

Some of the owners will also rent their boats out for the season. It takes the fun of ownership repairs out of the question, but it is also an easy way to get started for those who may not want to make the plunge.

Both my wife and I sail for the relaxation that it brings. We used a Torqeedo electric motor on our Capri 22 adding to the quiet. My wife no longer goes into stark terror when we heal past 30 degrees. She is fully supporting my involvement in Frostbiting - but from the warmth of the clubhouse! It is a way to feed my "midlife" crisis - except it is hitting me as I turn 60...

BTW, we have a warming hut with a wood stove anchored next to the course area. No one leaves the dock until the safety boat is ready.

Hope to see you on the water soon.

John

John,

Torqueedo and capri 22 sound right up on where we are as right now. I am actually debate if it make sense to sell the larger boat and getting something smaller just for me and the wife. I have been thinking about a Melonseed or something similar, that could in the garage, save the marina and the usual maintenance expenses, but still could give us some beautiful time in the water weather permitting. As for midlife crisis, I could totally speak for one myself, :D and fully supported by my other half, I have been involving myself with sailing and kayaking (all to be in the water, some say I was a fish sometime in my previous life..), and just for the sake of my italian native origin, I even went to the extent to purchase a vespa and went to all the wednesday race with it instead of using the car.

As for renting, sure would be a good option, but my garage is filled with various cutting and molding tool, and since I need to justified their purchase to my own self, I would love to engage in the fun of the ownership repairs and enjoy the smell of marine paint and sealants in the winter months. The best part is the warming hut with the wood stove,:D I am already drooling over the entire experience, winter sailing and wood stove are to me a truly winning combination.

I really to be there soon and see you in the water as well. All my true best to you and family in the meantime.

Guido

Back