Any sailor guard their shin while sailing?

mee168

Hi all,

It's been a while since I post my question. Just tried sailing 420 dinghy last Sunday. As a crew, I realise the tendency to knock your shins against the on board items is very high. I had bruises on my shin and as you know the shin is basically skin covering your bone. So, it is a very painful experience.

So, may I ask does anyone wear shin guard or special cover for the legs while sailing? If not, what other preventive measures exist?

Thanks,
mee168 (Ouch!)

mee168 said:
So, may I ask does anyone wear shin guard or special cover for the legs while sailing? If not, what other preventive measures exist?

Thanks,
mee168 (Ouch!)

Some of the more prudent Thistle sailors wear shin guards, as there are plenty of ways to knock your legs on that boat. They wear either soccer/football guards if they knock the front of their legs, or rig up padding on the backs of their legs if that is their tendancy.

Well, I've learned to just deal with it because shin guards make my legs feel really wierd and it's just awkward for me. So, if they don't feel wierd for you, go ahead.

Tim

I tend to knock my shins a lot and I skipper - it's not just the crews. I usually just put up with it, or if it is cold I wear my long wetsuit. I might consider trying some soccer shin-guards though.

okay... all points noted... i think most sailors will just put up with it... let me try again this weekend to see if i can torturate the pain.. Thanks all!

Hi all,

Just tried something instead of a shinguard last weekend when trying out 420 again. I used the knee sleeve or knee guard that I wear on when playing badminton... it is abit of neoprene material... and it seems to work fine.. probably I was more careful this time and didn't knock on parts of the boat... Still got more to experience....

mee168

Back