any one know if there are laser lessons in Orange County,CA

surfingcat

Want to pick up Laser or similar rank sailing, but I only found Capri or some other 14 ft small dingy in most club or college here in OC, CA

Anyone know there is laser lessons in this area? thanks

Re: any one know if there is laser lessons in Orange County,CA

Answer depends on your age. If you are < 18 try local yacht clubs. Costs, age limits for sailing program and membership requirements may be different at different clubs.

If you are over 18 Orange Coast College has a sailing program but is mostly keel boat I believe.

If you can get to Marina del Rey in LA county the UCLA sailing center (http://www.macsailing.org/Sailing/index.htm) is a option. You don't have to be UCLA student. They have options for other college students and non students.

If you are closer to SD then Mission Bay may be an option (http://www.missionbayaquaticcenter.com/sailing.htm).

thank you, it is so disappointing that OC do not have courses.

If you want to learn to sail, take the OCC classes in their FJ's or other keel boats. If you want to learn how to race lasers, you need to own one, charter one or buy one and practice on it. I recommend buying one. Check Craigslist.org and search OC, Riverside, Los Angeles, Santa Barbara...buy a beater laser for $500-$800 and go sailing.

Your best bet to get on the water and tips and tricks is to go to some Laser regattas and meet the people sailing them. There are a lot of boats in Newport Harbor (most not being sailed) and the fleet is building. If you are enthusiastic about sailing, I'm sure someone knows of a boat you can borrow or charter. And people are always open to giving pointers on how to sail better.

Better yet, you can buy an old used laser and trailer and start racing. I believe Bahia Corinthian and Balboa Yacht Club have racing only memberships that are very economical $30-$50/mth maybe. BYC has a ramp and BCYC has a hoist.

So for laser regatta's check www.balboayachtclub.com Sunkist Regatta 12/6, 1/3 & 2/7 and SCYA Midwinters at BYC on 2/21-22
and...Alamitos Bay Fleet Race 11/8, Turkey Day Regatta 11/22-23 www.abyc.com

Also, www.lidoisleyachtclub.com has a few laser races throughout the year. Halloween regatta 10/26 had 12 boats...

Good luck to you!

I've always wanted to sail in Newport Harbor but the only public launch ramp appears to be in the back bay with reports that it's a real hassle. I know you can carry your boat from a street to the water on Balboa Island but this too seems tough given the parking situation there, esp. with a trailer.

Any suggestions for a better way to get the boat in the water?

Thanks!

Back