Any non-smokers smoke ?

Deimos

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]As a non-smoker (who can tolerate the smell of cigarettes), last weekend racing in very light and variable (direction) winds struck me that maybe I should be lighting a cigarette. The wind was too light to always turn the wind vane properly (particularly on reach/run), but a trail of smoke would have been ideal.[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Anybody use cigarette smoke in light airs ? or is it illegal in the US/UK - that is smoking in a public place NOT (or maybe) under Laser Class rules.[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Ian[/FONT][/FONT]

My Mommy Boat provides a stream of smoke from a smoke generator so that I can identify the wind direction.

Seriously though, I have never seen anyone smoking in a Laser, but we did have an old guy in my old Sunfish fleet that would smoke a pipe while he sailed...he did well in light air.

I have seen someone smoke in a Laser, but I won't out him. He posts frequently on TLF. Maybe that's why he puts ports on all his Lasers. He only smokes between races.

Funny, we were just talking about this at my club, that there used to be a lot of pipe smokers, and they did well in light wind. Don't believe they were sailing Lasers, though.

It's not illegal to smoke on the water in the US. There's even a song about it, he he.

possibly fix an incense holder on the bow? that would be kinda cheap though:rolleyes:

Yeah, and instead of yelling starboard, chant Om. An incense holder on the bow has to be illegal, but smoking a cigarette probably would not be. funny

Yeah, and instead of yelling starboard, chant Om. An incense holder on the bow has to be illegal, but smoking a cigarette probably would not be. funny

it has to be legal, i have to be in the proper state of mind in order to sail

I smoke regularly downwind in my bigger boat but in the laser only between races (hence the inspection hatch on the new boat). Smoking in the boat is purely for relaxation Ii don't think I'm gaining a 'wind guru' advantage!

I smoke regularly downwind in my bigger boat but in the laser only between races (hence the inspection hatch on the new boat). Smoking in the boat is purely for relaxation Ii don't think I'm gaining a 'wind guru' advantage!

Well, anyone can see the smoke, anyway.

If the wind is light enough that you need to consider lighting a smoke to tell where the wind is coming from then my choice would be to sit under the shade of a big tree and have a wobbly pop or 2 and talk to good friends about the heavy wind regatta last week...year...decade...(you get it). But I hate sitting out there with my knees beside my ears looking for wind. But yet against my better judgment I race in no wind a lot of the time.

If the wind is light enough that you need to consider lighting a smoke to tell where the wind is coming from then my choice would be to sit under the shade of a big tree and have a wobbly pop or 2 and talk to good friends about the heavy wind regatta last week...year...decade...(you get it). But I hate sitting out there with my knees beside my ears looking for wind. But yet against my better judgment I race in no wind a lot of the time.

I second that!
I don't have to practice being miserable...
though when i have been goaded into doing so from time to time.

I've seen people smoking stuff in boats that definitely isn't legal, at least outside of California.

Sometimes after practice session I use to have a smoke in my laser...;) but never during a race.
When wind is extremely light i bring a piece of cassette tape with me.

Ciaaooooo
c32ba564c8bcfc86d2913e26ffc8e271.jpg

Smoking a cig on an ultra-light air day on Lake Travis recently not only satisfied my nicotine craving, it told me there was some wind, even though it was measureless other ways. I smoke between races. I know at least 3 other smokers in D15 who've been glad I had a lighter in my little drybox and an extra smoke to share. The drybox I use is cigarette pack size and it is easy to toss from boat to boat. :cool:

hmmm, the question is, is the force of wind required to move cigarette smoke any use to sails? At that level, heavy breathing near your sails could be regarded as cheating. Why not light a fire on the beach and watch it during the race? You could have a pig roasting on the spit for when you get back.

Is nicotine a stimulant ? Can we get the smokers under drugs in sports rulings ?

Going off topic - whats that picture you have for your Avatar GBR 134 ? Looks like a power boat went over Niagara.

Going off topic - whats that picture you have for your Avatar GBR 134 ? Looks like a power boat went over Niagara.

I believe it was first posted on Sailing Anarchy (where else :)), about half a year ago. It shows a splash that went terribly wrong :eek:.

Is nicotine a stimulant ? Can we get the smokers under drugs in sports rulings ?

It was something that I pulled off the web a few months ago because it made me laugh - it purports to be some stink-pot being launched in the gulf when one of the lifting straps failed!
:p

Back