Class Politics Any new news?

That and I believe the ISAF have told them they need to go back to the membership before bringing a proposal to the ISAF meeting (can't remember where I read that though, think it was somewhere on the ISAF website).

My earlier comment was just an amusing find at the trademark office while searching to see if they had applied for the new Laser name.

On a serious note ... exactly what was the proposed change to the Laser Construction Manual that the ILCA was seeking? Was the membership not consulted because the ILCA is still trying to push through the fundamental rule change?

Most likely they were trying to push through the new standard sail and top section. Membership consultation and voting isn't required to change the Construction Manual. ISAF evidently thought that some formal consultation would still be a good idea, even if the rules don't require it.

I've been out of the loop for a year or so. Is there some sort of a primer on how screwed up the Laser class is now? Is it better or worse? The Laser fleet at my club is almost dead, and I'm guessing all the politics mess isn't helping. Really sad state of affairs.

Not to be rude but....well.... Maybe you oughta focus on your own name use problems...

http://www.mrsp.com/

Oh crap! Infringers everywhere! But I'll take a writing site over a breastfeeding site that focuses on teaching the fine art of sucking. Though I have to admit ILCA.org is much easier to make fun of. The new Laser could be called the Suckers and the new logo could be a baby's puckered up lips ... but that might look a little bit like an asshole.

I've been out of the loop for a year or so. Is there some sort of a primer on how screwed up the Laser class is now? Is it better or worse? The Laser fleet at my club is almost dead, and I'm guessing all the politics mess isn't helping. Really sad state of affairs.

You haven't missed a thing. We're in the exact same place as we were a year ago. No primer necessary. But if you want to catch up on LP, here is a good primer: http://www.impropercourse.com/2012/06/laserperformance-united-unions.html

Thanks. It's too bad to see this happening to the class. We need to start a movement to get Melges to buy LP. At least those guys know how to make a boat and manage a company.

You assume LP wants to sell.. I don't believe they do. They most likely believe they are managing their company just fine (maximizing their profits)

I believe they are working towards resolving their parts shortages, by having their dealers buying direct from the OEM suppliers. May be a whole 'nother can o' worms, but that's for another day..

Back