any guess on year?

rlschager

Was given this old hull. All identification is gone. Want to register and fix. To register, NC says guess at year made? 1978 sound close?

Attachments

• 20200731_092843.jpg
    20200731_092843.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 59
No number on the transom? Hmm, well, if you encounter more bureaucratic hassles, you can always go the "home-built" route, just to get the boat registered and get your sticker. I had to do that with my Minifish in Kalifornia, a $200 'barn find' which lacked all paperwork (but had a number on the starboard quarter). I simply used Home Depot receipts from an entirely unrelated project to go through the motions at the DMV. Worked like a charm, but I also had to buy a small engraved aluminum plate with the newly-assigned registration number... I chose a plate which fully covered the original number and riveted it in place. All of this was done to satisfy bureaucratic requirements and bag the sticker... as an aside, many cycle & minibike owners encounter bureaucratic hassles when trying to register old 'barn find' bikes with no paperwork. In many cases, the previous owners are long dead and gone, so the new owners are forced to get 'creative' with their registration efforts. Meh, where would we be without gubmint bureaucracy? :confused:

A lot better off, I reckon... ;)

If I took a walk in the woods and stumbled on something that looked like that, I'd say it's from the mid- or late 1980s. But I'm not in North America (where this boat was most likely built), so I may get some details wrong, and neither is the shade of that colour totally clear in the picture. The lighting looks reddish, so I'm interpreting the boat to be "white" instead of "ivory", so that would make it (about) 1981 or later.

How come all identification is gone? Is there anything on the transom? There should be an embossed code on the starboard side of it. Anything under the bow eye fitting? (European boats of the time have a code there.) Any traces of plaques on the aft wall of the cockpit? Does the one who gave it know any of its history?

_

All identification is missing. Seems suspicious, but at this point, it needs repair and all parts so not worth much. I want to register it before I fix it up rather than approach NC with a nice looking sailboat with no identification.

Thanks for the guess of 1981. I'll go with that.

Back