Anthony Bourdain sails the Devil Laser

mpickering

All,

My wife called me into the bedroom to watch a segment with Anthony Bourdain. He was in Maine sampling some local cuisine and was inviting to engage in some Maine frostbiting. I don't know the club he was sailing with but they had several low number classic Lasers. One was sail number 774.

The one they took Tony out on was sail number 666.

He did ok. They wound up capsizing the boat but got it upright with only him going swimming. He was obviously wearing a dry suit (it wouldn't do to kill Tony on TV with Maine hypothermia). It was a short segment but it was fun to see a little Laser frostbiting in the mainstream. I doubt the casual watcher would note the significance of the sail numbers in the Laser community.

I personally found the idea of Tony sailing on Laser 666 to be hilarious. I wonder if the club maintains the boat strictly for the fun factor of the sail number?

I joked with my wife I'd love to buy that hull, paint it devil red and sail it in my local fleet. Own and race the Devil Laser. :) As it was this last weekend of frostbiting, a nice lady started taking pictures of my boat. I'm ok with that and her reasoning it was nice to see a classic Laser (10270) being actively sailed. I was flattered that of all the Lasers around she wanted pictures of me and my tired, battered old novice training boat.

You can find the Tony Bourdain Laser segment online. It was fun to watch that piece and say "I've done that!".

Matt

All,

My wife called me into the bedroom to watch a segment with Anthony Bourdain. He was in Maine sampling some local cuisine and was inviting to engage in some Maine frostbiting. I don't the club he was sailing with but they had several low number classic Lasers. One was sail number 774.

The one they took Tony out on was sail number 666.

He did ok. They wound up capsizing the boat but got it upright with only him going swimming. He was obviously wearing a dry suit (it wouldn't do to kill Tony on TV with Maine hypothermia). It was a short segment but it was fun to see a little Laser frostbiting in the mainstream. I doubt the casual watcher would note the significance of the sail numbers in the Laser community.

I personally found the idea of Tony sailing on Laser 666 to be hilarious. I wonder the club maintains the boat strictly for the fun factor of the sail number.

I joked with my wife I'd love to buy that hull, paint it devil red and sail it in my local fleet. Own and race the Devil Laser. :) As it was this last weekend of frostbiting, a nice lady started taking pictures of my boat. I'm ok with that and her reasoning it was nice to see a classic Laser (10270) being actively sailed. I was flattered that of all the Lasers around she wanted pictures of me and my tired, battered old novice training boat.

You can find the Tony Bourdain Laser segment online. It was fun to watch that piece and say "I've done that!".

Matt

nice! Bourdain is a refreshing entertaining injection amongst the absolute trash that encompasses 95% of my directv lineup

linky to the video?

i met the camera man (the camera man from maine who shows him around) Zach Zamboni from that show this summer, we were sailing on the same boat (j-35) out of Falmouth Maine thursday night beer can racing. He told me that the guy who owns that loft keeps it mostly private and it is mostly him and his friends who sail all those lasers.

Going a little off topic, I remember reading somewhere that 666 being the number of the devil is a misconception and it is more like 612 or something.

Anyone else here this

Back