Another cry for help!

crazyuncle

Hi again,
I'm trying to fit the new xd vang base to my mast (one of the cream coloured ones circa 1990) but the pin is too big to fit through the hole in the mast fitting. Can I drill it to the right size or can I use the pin that goes through the top part of the vang (held on by a split ring as is the bottom one) which doesn't appear to have a use?
John

The pin dia was increased for the Holt and Harken vang upgrades - You should drill out the vang tang on the mast to the new dia.

(don't use the smaller pin at the top of the vang, that's meant to hold the cunningham upgrade and is marginal as far as taking the increased loads that the new vang can exert)

yea i drilled out the bottom one (actually used a stepped reaming bit if you have one, much better than a straight bit) and its not that much of a change.

yea becuase you can just put it in the hole and have it centered as you move up in size rather than trying to get a bigger bit centered, the bits were much more useful than I ever expected them to be. If you do even a minimal amount of metal work they're worth $15

Hi folks,
Thanks for all your very useful help. You might like to know that the Laser Centre in the UK where I bought the kit from advised me to drill out the hole but also that using the top pin would also be viable.
In the end I drilled out the hole and it was dead easy.
BTW, does anybody know what the top pin is for?
John

Which cunningham upgrade? I've just fitted the GX-D upgrade and there is no mention of fitting a block to the kicker system.

Back