Andrew Campbell Sailing Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.
New Sponsor Announced: Go Raise Green

After a serious amount of European driving I made it to Lake Garda Monday with the boat and met our two other American boats, our training partners. Brad and I made it out for a shakedown sail today after spending the morning rigging in steady rain. When we drove in yesterday there was no wind [...]

More...

New Awesome CISA Video

Here’s the follow up from the CISA Clinic 2010. If you’ve never been involved with the clinic this video will be a great introduction to what we do. If you’ve done the clinic before you’ll enjoy, no doubt!CISA Advanced Racing Clinic from Jacqueline Schmitz on Vimeo.

More...

Sixth Place Going into Olympic Garda Medal Race Tomorrow

This high-cliffed lake has lived up to both it’s epic reputation of funneling breeze as well as being a traditional fickle lake. The wind on both the first and last days of the regatta started strong and ended glassy, while the middle two days had beautiful sailing conditions 12-20 knots and 20 miles of fetch [...]

More...

European Championships Set to Start in Viareggio, Italy

We’re back in Italy after delivering the boat north from Garda to Medemblik, Holland for it’s owner Andy MacDonald to use at the Delta Lloyd Regatta and then huffing it back down to Viareggio. When we left Holland it was raining and 55 degrees, and since we’ve arrived in Viareggio it’s been hanging in the [...]

More...

Sixth in Race 1

It’s official, our buddies German team Polgar and Koy beat more teams today than any Star class team has ever beaten in the 99 year history of the class. More than 140 boats lumbered around the racetrack in just less than 2.5 hours today. At the starting line only a mile from the beach the [...]

More...

20th in Race 2

After a great start on what turned out to be the wrong side of the course, we ended up fighting for 20th around the first top mark. We broke into the teens only to be swallowed up but a group of boats as we drifted through the finish line 2 and 1/2 hours after we [...]

More...

4 Down, 2 to Go

Here’s a great example of the size of the crowd. Fried Elliott is here taking some cool shots.We’ve had four races in four days here in Viareggio. Light air is still the name of the game, but the steady and relatively even pressure has provided for some very nice racing. This morning we sailed out [...]

More...

3rd in race 5, Sixth Overall into final race tomorrow

Don’t believe everything you read on the Internet. The regatta website http://www.stareuropean2010.it/eng/ unfortunately lists bow 111 instead of us (bow 11) as finishing third in today’s race. We had a three hour wait, but finally started race 5 at 4:15pm. A full two hours went by for the leaders to finish, but the fleet took [...]

More...

2nd at 2010 European Championships

With a fifth place finish today in a better-than-forecast 5-10 knot westerly, Brad and I tied with Richard Clarke and Tyler Bjorn of Canada to take second place at the Championships behind only Germans Johannes Polgar and Markus Koy in the 135 boat fleet. After sitting in sixth going into today, a lot of people [...]

More...

In the News + the new boat is in production!

There is big news brewing. I just got back to Germany from the massive road trip north with the boat, dropping it off in Weymouth for the next regatta: Sail for Gold in August. Thanks to Andy Mac for lending us 8250, and huge thanks to the Schmitz’s for lending me an animal [...]

More...

Harbor Springs to Weymouth

Melges32.comBack on the race course this couple of weeks. I spent last weekend racing with Team Ninkasi at the shorter-than-expected Melges 32 Nationals in Harbor Springs Michigan. We had one stellar day of training and two nice days of racing before Lake Michigan decided it had had enough and shut down the windmaker for both [...]

More...

Cracked Rudder Mounts, Capsizes and Burning Rain. Welcome to Weymouth

We’ve been here nearly a week and Weymouth hasn’t fully come up to its reputation until today. There’s been sunshine and moderate air with little current. Yesterday, as the regatta opened, the breeze freshened to the teens and we saw significantly more clouds and current. During practice for instance we had 2-3 boatlengths per minute [...]

More...

9.5 Hours of Weymouth Westerly

After an 830 weather briefing and a quick swim to scrub the bottom of the boat, we left the dock sailing to the race course at 915 this morning. The five miles or so downwind to the course took all of an hour thanks to the current and we arrived in time to do a [...]

More...

Medal Race Live 1pm London Time Saturday

Essentially we had to win the day to extend our series in the 2010 Sail for Gold. With a little more risk than normal we sent it to the left hand side in the first race to take 4th and then bee-lined it for the approaching thunderstorm to the right in the second race and [...]

More...

10th at Sail for Gold

A lot of things needed to fall just right in the medal race Saturday for us to make a move up the leaderboard after barely squeaking into the tenth spot. The breaks we finally got on Friday didn’t last as we lined up in a gold-star-studded medal race. Seven of the top ten have previous [...]

More...

Busy September turns into Busier October

Three events hit the calendar in September after arriving home from England in August. I was lucky enough to race with the Eastern Shore Log Canoe Fleet again aboard the Silver Heel. What a wild experience it is every time we race these over-canvased, over-crewed, over-served boats. The following week I headed up to the [...]

More...

Oxford Fall Wind Up, A Classic

Photo by JacquelineSchmitzPhotography.comWe had a classic weekend of Starboat racing on the Eastern Shore of Maryland last weekend. The Tred Avon Yacht Club held the 59th Annual Oxford Fall Wind Up and hosted 20 boats from around the northeast for a five race series. Saturday was a light 6-10 knot westerly, but Sunday was the [...]

More...

IRC Midwinters. Florida Training Camps upcoming

Photo by Sara Proctor per StormTrysail.org Last weekend we had the great opportunity to race with the Chesapeake Farr 40 Class with our own start in the Storm Trysail Club’s IRC Midwinters. Racing with Kevin McNeil’s Nightshift we hammered our way around a difficult racetrack during the 30 mile distance race on Friday, but rallied to [...]

More...

2010 in Review and Turning up the Heat on 2011

2010 has been a strong year for my campaign and me personally. After finishing 11th at the Worlds in Rio in a chartered boat and then chartering a different boat in Nassau at the Western Hemispheres (also 11th) and then using a third boat in Europe where we were able to finish 4th at Lake [...]

More...

Primed for Rolex Miami OCR

We’re all set up for a great week of forecasts here in Miami as the 2011 Rolex Miami Olympic Classes Regatta starts tomorrow. Ian Coleman and I have had a nice week of practice with a number of foreign teams to compound three weeks of training over the last two months here on site with [...]

More...

Quiet Day 1 at OCR

Photo by JacquelineCampbellPhotography.comWe had 12-15 knots of easterly breeze today in Miami. Steady and choppy conditions allowed two good races to go off for the Star fleet on time at 1100. We had 2.0 mile first beats and races took the better part of an hour and half each, at which point we blast reached [...]

More...

Tuesday and Wednesday Inconsistent at OCR

We had two lousy races to start both yesterday and today. Both days were slightly breezier in the first races and we put ourselves close to making a leap for the top 15 but caught bad breaks in both cases. Instead we settled for a 31, 20. Fortunately we were able to press the reset [...]

More...

Slowly Chipping Away

We had two light races today on Biscayne Bay. Actually out first start was far better than our second, but the results were just the inverse. We continued our inconsistency while slightly improving our average. We had a 15, 6. The light and fickle breeze reeked havoc on the fleet making the scores a mess, [...]

More...

Black Flag & a First, Medal Racing Saturday 1pm

What a wild and shifty day on Biscayne Bay today! We had 15-20 knots of chilly (by Miami standards) 50 degree temperatures as we hit the water for our 9am dock off. The blast reach out to the course took shorter than its normal six miles. The fleet was anxious to go and had a [...]

More...

After a day of spectacular wind and 95 races on Friday followed by a classic late summer shifty-turned-beautiful southerly yesterday, the quarterfinal round of the Hinman will likely be sailed in rainy and windy conditions today. After going 9-6 in the opening round robin, Team SDYC was relegated to the middle “silver” group of 6 [...]

More...

Great updates posted by you. Thanks a lot for opening this thread

5th in Medal Race, 6th Overall at 2011 Rolex Miami Olympic Classes Regatta

Much ado about nothing on Medal Race day for us. We sailed out and watched the Finns go around their track and get bombarded with right shifts. For lack of a better plan, and with the need for a few things to fall our way to move up the leaderboard we tacked around the boat [...]

More...

Usa 8423

I had a question posted last week during the OCR asking about whether we were continuing to charter and borrow boats like we had been the last two years or whether I’d settled on a boat. The Beg Borrow and All-but-Steal Era is for the most part over. Without the help of a number of [...]

More...

2011 US Sailing Team AlphaGraphics Named, Training Continues

Press Release for the 2011 US Sailing Team AlphaGraphicsThe big news this week is the naming of the 2011 US Sailing Team AlphaGraphics. Ian and I were named to the team. It doesn’t seem like its possible, but this is the tenth anniversary of my being named to the 2001 US Sailing Team in the [...]

More...

2nd in Bacardi Cup Race 1

Ian and I managed to get out by ourselves on the left side of the first race yesterday here at the 84th Bacardi Cup. 89 boats started and we had only one boat to beat going down the last run. Norway’ Eivind and Petter held us off, but we scampered across the line second for [...]

More...

28th and DNS in Races 2 & 3 at Bacardi Cup

After a fast start to the series down here we’ve slowed down to a complete stop on Wednesday at the Bacardi Cup. We fought hard from a top mark rounding in the 30s in race 2 Tuesday and made gains into the 20 range, but gave away a few boats on the final beat to [...]

More...

AP over A on Thursday at Bacardi Cup

“AP over A” means the race committee put up the Postponement flag above the blue and white Alpha flag indicating that races were canceled for the day and postponed to Friday. Heavy rain and thunder rolled across the sky at about 1215 local time (that would have been halfway up our first beat). The other [...]

More...

Wacky Northerly on Biscayne Bay

We had a smoking north breeze overnight and yesterday morning, 15-22 knots. By he time racing started the onshore heating had caused the breeze to destabilize and the conditions were crazy for our two races. 30+ degree shifts and puffs bear 25 beside lulls of 10 were not uncommon. The score sheet reflects the wildness [...]

More...

Bacardi Cup Finishes in Less-than-inspiring Fashion

Friday and Saturday on Biscayne Bay were not your standard days of sailing. The post-frontal northerly created havoc on the racecourse blasting the fleet with 30 degree shifts and wild variations in wind-strength. We sailed two races in Friday’s crazy conditions and one on Saturday. All three races had massive shifts through the course and [...]

More...

To Europe

We’re on the road again. It’s already been 10 days, starting with a four-day physical training camp at the US Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs. Meetings, lectures, workouts and more workouts were gapped with good food in the cafeteria and the Pan Am Games Boxing Trials going on while we were there.*After CO Springs [...]

More...

Smoker on Day 1, Trofeo Princesa Sofia - Palma, ESP

Old Palma New Starboat, Photo: Leandro SpinaIt was a wild one here in Palma today. The forecast was for potentially breezy conditions, but only a few models had the breeze coming on as hard as it did. We sailed out for the first race of the regatta from a warm dock unsuspectingly into 25 knots [...]

More...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back