Andrew Campbell Sailing Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Training for Worlds in Rio

We’ve had a couple of days of race-training inside the bay here in Rio. We’re right under the of Sugar Loaf and the massive statue of Christ atop the highest promontory in town, but the only shade in town is under the boat when we’re polishing. Temperatures reach 90+ degrees almost daily this time of [...]

More...

Two days to go…

Brazil is living up to its summer-time reputation, hot, humid and great sailing. Yesterday was a phenomenal day of sailing outside of Rio. 10-15 knots and some fun wave action made for good tuning conditions and the most fun downwind sailing we’ve seen down here.Measurement is today’s big effort. The Star worlds is a lesson [...]

More...

Two Days Down, In Fourth at the Worlds

Photo: FriedBits.comWe’ve had two very warm days here in Rio to start the 2010 Star Worlds. Temperatures neared 100 degrees again today even under partly cloudy skies, but the seabreeze could not quite switch on like it did for yesterday’s regatta opener inside the bay. Yesterday we raced in the confines of Guanabara Bay [...]

More...

Tough couple of races in Rio, Two more to go…

Photo by Friedbits.com I struggled getting off the line cleanly the last couple of days here in Rio. Yesterday was a very light air slugfest. We were postponed for nearly an hour, followed by five starts, three general recalls and another short postponement before finally getting the fleet off the line under black flag. We [...]

More...

14th in Race 5. One more race to go.

After another miserable start, Brad and I were able to claw back into a much better finish yesterday to take a 14th. Something about the serious upwind current has thrown my normal starting strategy for a loop, but we are trying to just keep battling. Coach Ed Adams had us somewhere in the mid-thirties at [...]

More...

11th Overall at 2010 Star World Championships

Yesterday capped off a tricky 2010 Star World Championships. From the first race of the regatta inside the confines of Rio’s Guanabara Bay to nasty swirling current mixed with ocean slop, the racing was extremely testing at times for even the best sailors at the event. Yesterday was not in the regular seabreeze pattern. When [...]

More...

Worlds Interview with Scuttlebutt

Here’s a new interview regarding the Worlds at SailingScuttlebutt.comhttp://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/news/10/0125/

More...

Newcomer of the Year - 2010 US Sailing Team Alphagraphics

Inaugural US Sailing Team AlphaGraphics Awards FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: Marni Lane, [email protected], 617-671-8332Olympic Sailing Program Presents Inaugural US Sailing Team AlphaGraphics AwardsPortsmouth, R.I. (January 23, 2010) – The Olympic Sailing Program presented seven US Sailing Team AlphaGraphics Awards to the 2009 team members who achieved excellence in the following categories in 2009: Best Individual Performance, Best [...]

More...

Can Sports Save the World? - Thoughts before Vancouver

On January 15th, The Atlantic Monthly ran an article online by author Adam Hofstetter titled “Can Sports Save the World?” He demonstrated through a number of cases that Sports cannot save the world,*starting with*the recent attack on the Togo soccer squad as they prepared to take on Angola in the run-up to the 2010 World [...]

More...

At risk of being to Blog-ish, here’s a look at the bad karma CampbellSailing.com is getting thanks to last month in the 95 degree Rio sunshine. 26 inches yesterday plus 6-12 more tomorrow here in DC. Oops!

More...

AudiMelges20 Event Done, Melges32 Race Week and Star Bacardi Cup to go in Miami

*Photo by JOY /IM20CA© We’re in the green spinnaker.The February/March*calendar filled up quicker than I anticipated after two weeks overseas and a week at Miami OCR in January. This past weekend I went back to Miami to sail with some Minnesota A-Scow sailors in the second of the Audi Melges 20 series held in Miami [...]

More...

On the Road, Again.

The snow is melting slowly off the DC streets, just in time for me to hustle back to the airport and head out for the next event: Melges 32 sailing with Team Ninkasi at the 2010 Acura Miami Race Week immediately followed by Bacardi Cup in the Star boat.It’s be hectic couple of months to [...]

More...

“Frankly, pros have no place in the vast majority of sailing…”

An interesting interview coming from a US Sailing interview with author Nicholas Hayes led off Scuttlebutt today. I’m not sure where Mr. Hayes get’s off with his strong comments in such a public forum. For a sailor trying to promote and grow*the sport, it’s a little tough to understand his negativity toward professionalism in sailing. [...]

More...

Miami Grand Prix down Bacardi Cup to go…

Quickly, thanks to the discussion and comments last week I think it is valuable to have a discussion about the subject raised by Mr. Hayes’ comments regarding professionals in the sport of sailing. I look forward to not only reading his book but having more dialogue with him and others on the subject. To read [...]

More...

Bacardi Cup Day 1

After a week of great north breeze, the Miami heat showed up again today killing the northerly and making conditions perfect for a light seabreeze. We waited on shore an extra hour and then ghosted out into a 4-6 knot easterly. The sailing was just beautiful all things considered, but a 20 degree lefty in [...]

More...

BFD in race 2 at Bacardi Cup

Thankfully longtime Star crew Chris Rogers was here this weekend without a skipper so I could have somebody to sail with after Brad decided he would be better spending the week with the doctors. We had two starts today, the second of which went off under the threat of black flag. Usually this means line [...]

More...

Third in race three + interview

We finally* got a chance to redeem ourselves from yesterday’s black flag. We started in champagne sailing conditions: 8-12 steady knots, flat water and 75 degrees near the mid-line mark. Chris and I were able to hold in a tough lane for just long enough that we could tack and cross most of the fleet [...]

More...

14 in Race 4

A blustery forecast greeted us today in Miami but didn’t materialize. We tightened our settings anticipating a breezier race but still had good speed as the wind fizzled out as the weather moved across northern Florida. Chris and I broke out to the right hand side after starting near the boat end but ultimately had [...]

More...

No Racing on Day 5

We were postponed ashore today after serious bands of weather moved across much of the eastern us including southern Florida. We had a couple good inches of rain in Miami along with one bolt of lightning but none of the extreme winds they had only a few hundred miles north and west of us. The [...]

More...

13th at Bacardi Cup. Regatta ends with big breeze

**Not racing on Friday had the star fleet anxious for two races on Saturday regardless of forecast. Twenty knot westerly breeze filled into Biscayne Bay for the first of two scheduled races. The blast reach out to the race course barely gave us a taste of what we would see in the day’s race. Chris [...]

More...

Olympic Training to Congressional Cup

Last week was the first of two physical testing camps at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs for the US Sailing Team Alphagraphics and development squad. Some sixty sailors were living in the dorms, hitting the weights and scrambling in and out of pool drills in three and a half days of physical tests, [...]

More...

5-1 on Con Cup Day 2

Another fluky day greeted sailors on he second day of Congressional Cup 2010. The seabreeze didn’t quite fill until about three in the afternoon. On board Team Hardesty we were able to execute our decisions a little better than yesterday and had a little luck on our side that we lacked previously and had [...]

More...

2-2 on Thursday. Fight for Semis on today at Con Cup

Team Hardesty had the toughest four races of the ten team lineup yesterday racing defending champions Bernsson and Brady as well as tour leaders Bruni and Iehl. While we were leading in all four races we took a couple rough penalties against the seasoned veterans giving te Swedish and Azurra teams enough victories to confirm [...]

More...

Into the Semi Finals against Brady Saturday

Another fabulous day of weather here in Lomg Beach provided Congressional Cup racers with 8-12 knots of steady breeze and spectators some very close racing. Team Hardesty pull together the first two races of the day today against Monin and Barkow to clinch the spot in the final four boats tomorrow. We dropped our last [...]

More...

4th at Congressional Cup

It was a tricky day of sailing here in Long Beach. The Santa Ana reared it’s ugly head for most of the morning putting us in postponement as hot sand blew off the beach in 25+ knot puffs. We waited until about 1pm before the breeze finally started to moderate and swing to it’s final [...]

More...

CISA Clinic 2010 Starts Thursday

33rd CISA Racing Clinic at Long Beach this week LONG BEACH, Calif. - by Rich Roberts With a week off from school, more than a hundred of America’s best young sailors from the East Coast to Hawaii will spend Thursday through Sunday absorbed in another sort of institution: the California International Sailing Association’s 33rd [...]

More...

CISA Clinic 2010 a Success as reported by Rich Roberts

April 11, 2010? ? Never a bad day of sailing at the CISA Clinic ? LONG BEACH, Calif. ************************? The sun never shined and the sea was lumpy despite a wind too light for whitecaps, but did that ruin anyone’s day for the windup of the California International Sailing Association’s 33rd annual Advanced Racing Clinic at Alamitos Bay Yacht Club? ? Certainly not [...]

More...

Star Western Hemispheres forecasted to have a windy start in Nassau

Flying straight to Nassau after CISA Clinic, I arrived to find a windy forecast dominating the picture here. New Providence Island had cloudy skies yesterday but he sun is out and the breeze is in already at 8am for the tune-up regatta for the Harry Knowles Trophy recognizing one of the Bahamas original Star sailors [...]

More...

No blood, no foul - err… Windy opener at Nassau

The breeze was already in when we got down to the Nassau Yacht Club today. We sailed out for a noon start and had two windy triangle windward leeward courses taking about an hour a piece. In the second race the breeze increased steadily from 17 to 22 knots and took a rig and made [...]

More...

Too much breeze Wednesday in Nassau.

Its still yet to be seen whether there will be sail-able breeze on Thursday, but Wednesday saw AP over A signaling that the day was canceled at 10am. The breeze picked up to well into the high 20s and 30 knot range. We were all forced to stay on shore and look for other stuff [...]

More...

Windy first day of the Western Hemispheres

Had a tough day of racing after being forced ashore on Wednesday. Thursday morning we had the same type of look to the day, and we sat postponed on shore for an hour yesterday waiting for a wind report from the racecourse. Ultimately we sailed two races in 17-22 knots of breeze and 3 foot [...]

More...

Windy again Friday in Nassau

Although the forecast called for easing easterlies, the weatherman was not quite right today as 15-22 knot easterlies created good sailing conditions again in Nassau. If we were in Europe it would certainly be called relentless breeze, but because it’s 75 degrees and the water is also 75, the conditions are something closer to ideal. [...]

More...

Breeze Eases, 10th at Western Hemispheres

The breeze eased to a measly 10-16 knots today for the final two races at the Western Hemisphere Championships. The early start had a tinge of deja vu as 15 knots funneled into Nassau Harbour as we ventured out at 830am. Once we got to the course the wind moderated slightly and went 30 degrees [...]

More...

8th in New World Rankings, To Europe Next

One week from today, I head overseas for an extended trip to Europe, two training camps and two regattas at Lake Garda and Viareggio, Italy. I’m definitely looking forward to the training time and the regatta opportunities. The trip will begin picking up the borrowed*car in Germany, driving to Weymouth to pickup the borrowed boat [...]

More...

Six countries in 24 hours

I arrived in England yesterday, twice. First I flew in from Washington to London’s Heathrow Airport before catching a connecting flight across the channel to Dusseldorf. Once there I met a driver to take me to Jackie’s family’s hometown of Krefeld in western Germany. After a quick shower and freshen up I picked up the [...]

More...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back