Andersen Bailer Install Questions

Jdkil72

Hey fellow Laser Sailors! I recently got a Laser 2 and the super chute is leaking. I bought a new Andersen style bailer that should fit the hole, and I am wondering how to install it. Is it as simple and fitting it in the hole with a gasket and running sealant around the edges like caulk on windows, and filling the screw holes with sealant? Any help would be much appreciated!

That's the way it goes. Easiest done with the mast up and boat on its side, so you can tighten the bolts from both sides at once. Also, you actually need very little sealant; big, thick layers of it are meaningless if you don't have a good bond.

_

That's the way it goes. Easiest done with the mast up and boat on its side, so you can tighten the bolts from both sides at once. Also, you actually need very little sealant; big, thick layers of it are meaningless if you don't have a good bond.

_
Thanks! A good bond of what exactly?

Thanks! A good bond of what exactly?
Between the hull and the bailer itself. A previous owner had poured a ton of Sikaflex (or something similar) on my Lightning bailer, but it still leaked like crazy between that sealant and the hull.

_

Hmm ok interesting. My bailer is an inside mount and the hole was a little too big. We filled it with fiber glass reinforced bondo to fit the new bailer and plan on bolting it down then running a bead of sealant around the bailer between the bondo and bailer. How does this sound?

Between the hull and the bailer itself. A previous owner had poured a ton of Sikaflex (or something similar) on my Lightning bailer, but it still leaked like crazy between that sealant and the hull.

_
Hmm ok interesting. My bailer is an inside mount and the hole was a little too big. We filled it with fiber glass reinforced bondo to fit the new bailer and plan on bolting it down then running a bead of sealant around the bailer between the bondo and bailer. How does this sound?

How does this sound?
Sounds fine.
By the way, was (is) the cockpit floor and the bottom of the boat in complete contact with one another? If there is even the smallest gap, that's a place where the double floor is going to leak.

-

Back