An insane adventure

Seaotter5

If you have ever wanted to go cruising on a Sunfish, you owe it to yourself to check this series out! I am planning my first Minifish cruise, and I was able to pick out a number of helpful ideas. One thing is for certain: Lake Superior is too much for me! I think I will stick to calmer, more predictable Destinations!

I sail in Lower MI by the straights of Mackinaw every summer! its great!! water temps usually in low 70's never been up to Superior, but would love to venture up there one day, i live in Baltimore though, so sail in the bay all the time. Also Adventure in reach is great, and hopefully he'll gets more followers, he creates some good content!

If you have ever wanted to go cruising on a Sunfish, you owe it to yourself to check this series out! I am planning my first Minifish cruise, and I was able to pick out a number of helpful ideas. One thing is for certain: Lake Superior is too much for me! I think I will stick to calmer, more predictable Destinations!

I watched Matt's "Sunfish Sailboat Camping" about two weeks ago.

'Guessing it was one of his first videos, and it disclosed the various frustrations that can befall a small sailboat. Such as becalming :( then eventually landing at a beautiful campsite, and finding it's the wrong place! :confused:

The viewer might get a message that the "video is unavailable", but will shortly reset you to YouTube.

I know about the moose on Isle Royale, but does Matt know about the wolves that the Government resettled there? :eek:

Y'know, like what Government does with taxes? :rolleyes:

No worries, Mr. D, you'll soon be pulling similar voyages in Dutch waters... as you know, the Dutch as a seafaring people have a long and illustrious history of nautical adventure. If Dutch skippers could circumnavigate the globe centuries ago, you can certainly pull some cool camping voyages in your local waters... and ya don't have to make videos, simple photos will serve to document the experience. :cool:

I remember that young gal, she was dedicated... a good sailor too, and more power to her for demonstrating that women can pull off bad@$$ adventures. Of course, I already figured that out during my climbing days, when hot women were pulling routes that a lot of guys couldn't do, myself included, LOL. But I loved climbing for its own sake, being out in some kick@$$ wilderness venue and having a good time with close friends... no crowds, no traffic, no crime, no smog, none of that citified bull$h!t, AYE??? :cool:

As far as Dutch navigators go, Abel Tasman was always one of my favorites, check the plotted course and track of his voyages and they're bad@$$, LOL. The fact that Dutch skippers explored so much of coastal New Holland (Australia) and Nieuw Zeeland (New Zealand) in the early 1600s speaks volumes about their good seamanship. And Nieuw Amsterdam in 1620??? "FUHGEDDABOUTIT!!!" The Dutch also cornered the market (so to speak) with oceangoing tugs in the 1900s, but that's another story unrelated to sailing as it is known at THIS website. :rolleyes:

I stumbled across some island pics today while reminiscing, so I'm off to another thread to post 'em up... I also forgot that I copied Helen Ellsberg's entire book LOS CORONADOS ISLANDS back in the day, eventually I may upload it so that other skippers interested in the islands can check out that excellent reference. Of course, I still think it would be harder to pull off such voyages today, given the state of affairs between the two countries... too easy to wind up in a Mexican jail with your boat confiscated, the Pistols tune "NO FUN" playing in the background as your theme song in that Mexican hellhole, LOL. :eek:

I'M OFF TO POST THOSE PICS, GOTTA GET DINNER STARTED TOO SO IT MAY TAKE AWHILE... ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for the compliments Cactus Cowboy. The Dutch are indeed grazy about sailing and boats. To illustrate this feeling: Here's a picture of 'Sail Amsterdam', an event that takes place every 5 years and everything that floats will be on the waters then.

Attachments

• Sail-In-Amsterdam-2015-1024x683.jpg
    Sail-In-Amsterdam-2015-1024x683.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 64
I live in Huizen in the Netherlands, a smaill town that used to be a little village near the sea. Most of the people were fishermen and sailed the 'Zuiderzee' (Southsea) in their 'Huizer botters'. The fleet used to be more than 100 boats. We still have some 'Huizer Botters, some are 100 years old and somtimes older and still sail!

Attachments

• huizer_botters.jpg
    huizer_botters.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 41
Nice pics, and 1620 was a 'ballpark figure' for New Amsterdam (now New York), I have the actual date written in this classic trucking story, one of my tales from the road, LOL. ;)

Monkey Business In Manhattan

Of course, I wouldn't wanna visit NYC now, I heard it has seriously gone downhill under bad management, so to speak. :confused:

Note: That Trump reference was written long before he ever became President, LOL. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the compliments Cactus Cowboy. The Dutch are indeed grazy about sailing and boats. To illustrate this feeling: Here's a picture of 'Sail Amsterdam', an event that takes place every 5 years and everything that floats will be on the waters then.
I suggest everyone here click to get this Sail Amsterdam picture to "Full Image". There are two large square-riggers in the pic and at least two schooners.

I'm still a fan of multihull racers preparing to race around The Netherlands' Texel Island:

(250 catamarans...Count 'em). ;)

The first winner in the very first race was a Hobie 14. :confused:

IMG_7138[1].jpg

I live in Huizen in the Netherlands, a smaill town that used to be a little village near the sea. Most of the people were fishermen and sailed the 'Zuiderzee' (Southsea) in their 'Huizer botters'. The fleet used to be more than 100 boats. We still have some 'Huizer Botters, some are 100 years old and somtimes older and still sail!
For most of history, sailboats were workhorses. It is nice we can enjoy them today purely for fun.
I like the external swivel-mounted daggerboards!
It seems the variations are infinite.
I particularly like these slender Portuguese sailboats.
IMG_1074 2.jpg

Back