AMF Zuma gudgeon help

CJ congrove

I am hoping there might be some zuma knowledge floating around the sunfish collective here. All the resources on this site have been super helpful in getting my sunfish going.

We also have a zuma that the two upper bolts of the gudgeon are stripped out of the hull. Was there a backing plate on inside of the hull for the gudgeon on these? My current plan for repair is to install an inspection port and put in a backing plate and thru bolts. Is there a preferred place to put the inspection port? Deciding between the transom and the back wall of the cockpit... I would be glad to hear any recommendations.

Thanks

I am pretty sure (?) that all of the AMF "new style" stainless steel "U"shaped gudgeon brackets for the Sunfish, Zuma, Force 5, Puffer etc. have internal, threaded aluminum back up plates (rather than wood back-up plates). So before you go to the trouble of installing an inspection port, consider
trying to secure the bracket with stainless steel, preferably self-tapping machine screws with coarser threads or even long, stainless steel pop rivets. As long as you still have two of the original four machine screws, you should have plenty of strength in this repair.

Maybe others can weigh in as I have never actually done the repair I am suggesting.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Thanks, Alan. I'll definitely give new hardware a shot before doing an inspection port. I'm not sure where "new style" starts with a zuma, but this gudgeon is different than the one on my sunfish. The boat is an 89.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201209-123127~2.png
    Screenshot_20201209-123127~2.png
    583.4 KB · Views: 79

Back