AMF Trac 14 and 16 catamarans

paintboy

I currently own a trac 14 and wondered how many more are out there. Any tips or advice on it? We have only had it in the water once this past summer but plan on many trips next summer. Looks to be a quality built boat and I like how it can be disassembled for storage.

Recently purchased an AMF Trac 16 and need to find replacement plugs. The universal plugs we bought ended up being too big. Bought the boat through a friend, so I may try calling the original store Lynn Sailboats in Houston to see if they have any suggestions. AMF Trac 16 is in great shape, though! Just need new plugs and will recall the mast and need to add a buoy atop the mast (and bring catamaran friends
EC970326-4E1B-459D-8EAB-982B59BB4126.jpeg
to show us the ropes)!

Attachments

• 4DCC3BDF-CE4F-4F4A-8056-717C217C8297.jpeg
    4DCC3BDF-CE4F-4F4A-8056-717C217C8297.jpeg
    760.3 KB · Views: 68
  • 810DDD95-2899-4A61-941F-BCDF4F66BB8A.jpeg
    810DDD95-2899-4A61-941F-BCDF4F66BB8A.jpeg
    831.4 KB · Views: 87
  • 20F83874-F15E-4DAE-ADBB-191ADC27E200.jpeg
    20F83874-F15E-4DAE-ADBB-191ADC27E200.jpeg
    739.8 KB · Views: 67
Recently purchased an AMF Trac 16 and need to find replacement plugs. The universal plugs we bought ended up being too big. Bought the boat through a friend, so I may try calling the original store Lynn Sailboats in Houston to see if they have any suggestions. AMF Trac 16 is in great shape, though! Just need new plugs and will recall the mast and need to add a buoy atop the mast (and bring catamaran friendsView attachment 40789 to show us the ropes)!
I would remove the old plug base and use those yak plugs you have in the package. Those are the same plugs I put on the trac 14. You might have to modify the screw holes a little for the new base but it will be worth the effort. You can find replacement plugs and should have an extra incase one gets lost. Very nice looking boat. Great find.

I'm a monohull man by choice, but several classmates (and friends) had cats in high school... I can remember two Hobies and a Tornado Cat. I went sailing with those guys and had a blast, but they all said the same thing: if the boat got knocked down, ya had to right it quickly, because if it turtled it became a monumental PITA to right. So that masthead buoy or 'Baby Bob' (or whatever you choose) is a good idea... :rolleyes:

I also recall my friends telling me how the boat could do a weird death roll on the surface... not a true death roll, I forget the term they used to describe it, but the boat would roll like a tumbleweed across the water, stress-testing spars, standing rigging, sails & gear as she went. Thankfully, I never experienced this firsthand, LOL... but those guys were good sailors, and I dug the speed of the cats, I'm just drawn to monohulls for traditional reasons. ;)

Last edited:
We love all the suggestions and tips! We have friends who offered to show us the ropes, since reading the manual and watching YouTube isn’t the same thing as being on the lake. Here’s the manual I found from a beach cats forum. Curious if y’all recommend any YouTube tutorials on how to rig this thing? We had adult sailing lessons but with a young family (busy with kids), we haven’t been on the water in a while. We appreciate the tips!!

Hello! I'm hoping there are still some AMF users out there.
Just bought an older AMF Trac 16 and Dying to get it on the water. Looks like the trampoline is in decent condition but Im finding a few issues. One, the mast won't go vertical when I'm rigging it and have stays attached even at furthest points on stay extenders. The Forestay has about a three foot gap. I'm concerned my stays are wrong. Does anyone have the specs on the stays? How long they should be? Could I fix this with longer stay extenders?
Also missing the pins for the rudders. Does anyone have the specs on them? Going to try to find something that works in the mean time.

Back