AMF Apollo (designed by Bruce Kirby)

Jack

**First of all I'd like to appologize for posting about a boat that is not a laser. But for what its worth, it was designed by Bruce Kirby and does seem to have some similarities.**

A guy in my office gave me a boat. Its an AMF Apollo and it is old, beat up, and leaks water badly. However, I still want to try to get it "sailable". I have found a website and a yahoo group about these boats but am still looking for info.
I emailed Bruce Kirby and he wrote me back. Appearanltly this boat had a fairly compettitve one design going for a while. Gary Jobson won the first North Americans in Annapolis in the late 70s. I emailed him too.
I am trying to establish whether the use of a spinaker was allowed under class rules. Neither Gary nor Bruce could remember, but it was pretty awesome just to get email from those guys!
The websites I found list the original class rules but I can't find anything about the chute.
The websites also list a "spinaker kit" which was available from the manufacturer. So it stands to reason that it might be legal. My boat does not have a chute nor the gear on the mast with which to rig one.
Additionally, I checked the US Sailing Portsmouth Handicap page and emailed the Portsmouth Yardstick person in charge to see if the Apollo was on record as a spinnaker boat. They did not have it on record as being one.
So anyways, I'm just trying to find anyone that knows anything about the Apollo. Ideally I'd love to find somone that raced them or rigged one with the factory chute.
Any help is appreciated, and I do appologize for straying from the Laser topic.
Thanks,
-Jack

We had an Apollo at the sailing camp that I attended in Greenwich, CT about 20 years ago. It had spinaker gear, but I have no idea if that was race legal or not. I think I remember it being similar to a Blue Jay.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/apollosailors/?yguid=201485842

there used to be one that was apollosailor.com/ but I think it is down. If you go to the archive section of the yahoo groups, I think that there is still a way into the old site.
I'm at work right now so I really can't do too much poking around.
-Jack

John K- do remember how the Apollo sailed? Is there another dinghy that is comparable?
Thanks.

Hmm...
I've been told that she is pretty quick but not very stable. I think I may enter her in the annual dinghy race that our club puts on with a handicap class in May.
I would really like to have a chute ready by then.
I have a chute from a 420. Bruce kirby said that he thought that may be a bit small.
At present, the boat leaks pretty badly. I think that the bailers are to blame.

Back