americas cup 2003

pzl&24

hey whats up with new zeland the best team defeated by a country with no sea

did you know that allingi crew is paid; each skipper around $50,000 bucks a month even the grinders and cause they win americas cup every one is paid 1 million my teacher told me

what do you think

I say more power to them! I am glad they won. It was because of the two Canadians on the team. Plus, most that boat was made up of Foreigners who do not come from the land locked country of Switzerland.

Also, NZL had a rubbish boat: if you spent millions on a boat, would you build a mast that snapped and a kite pole that snapped TWICE? Alinghi made great use of the Louis Vuitton.

Yes...I'd say they won because of Russel Couts the brilliant Allinghi helmsmen. But Will, the TNZ mast was built by Hall Spars, the same makers of Allinghi, Oracle BMW Racing, Prada, One World Challenge, and TDC's mast as well as most of the others if not all. But I would agree with the fact that it was not the greatest boat as we saw them bailing out their boat with 5 gallon buckets during race 1.

hey but the worlds best team thats what i think has been kicked on the ass by allingi who has no sea in his country
its imposible i lost $100 bucks but allingi sailed good very good

New Zealand just pushed the limits of the rig too far.

Their boom: they tried to get less weight with the small portion at the back, but it wasn't strong enough and snapped.

Their mast: i heard something about a new spreader/side stay set up they tried but it wasn't strong enough. Also, their jib blew out twice.

I believe they were using a Millenium Rig. But I am not sure. They are always making new rigs. Yes, they pushed it too far.

They didn't get the benefit of the competitiveness of racing that Alinghi got through the challenger series, so had never really pushed the boat to its limits before.

Originally posted by macwas16
Yes...I'd say they won because of Russel Couts the brilliant Allinghi helmsmen. But Will, the TNZ mast was built by Hall Spars, the same makers of Allinghi, Oracle BMW Racing, Prada, One World Challenge, and TDC's mast as well as most of the others if not all ---snip---

Huh ?

Southern Spars built the spars for:
GBR Challenge
Mascalzone Latino
One World Challenge
Oracle BMW Racing
Team Prada
Stars & Stripes
Team New Zealand

and as another poster correctly pointed out, they build the spars, rigging and fittings to the team's specs, same way that North Sails builds the sails for them.

So, if a sail or rig fails, it's usually traced back to a design spec that was too close to the edge.

Not sure if this is at all relevant to any one, but I saw this on another list serve.
-Bradley

Hi All,

NJYRA is sponsoring a presentation on the 2003 America's Cup to be given by Gary Jobson.

Date: Sunday, March 30, 2003
Time: 2-4:30 pm
Location: Red Bank Regional High School, in Little Silver, NJ

Tickets can be purchased from NJYRA representatives and at locations locally in Red Bank.
For additional information, call 732-747-5747.

Please distribute the attached flier to the clubs in your respective YRAs.

Hope to see you there!

Jackie Cattanach
PC
NJYRA
Email: [email protected]
Work phone: 908-243-7884
Home phone: 973-586-0825

Back