Americanisation

G

Goonie

I stopped posting in the Iraq thread, because in my opinion it got out of hand. Lets try and prevent that here.

What do you guys think about Americanisation? I hate it being the Canadian nationalist I am. What do you Americans think about it? Any French ppl here probably agree with me. BEN OUI!

Seth

Americanisation is when American culture destroys another culture or gains ground on another culture in a country other than the US.

Goonie - Shut the f**k up and sit the f**k down. NO one here needs your trolling. And you call yourself a moderator. This place is getting to be a waste of bandwidth.

Spot we don't need that intent of language usage. you may have a valid point but we just got the constitution up and running and this is not what we need here. As for goonie, I mean come on man. In the Constitution it says you should not direct a dirogatory comment to a single person or a group of people (Americans), so please try your best to make this work.

Ok first off, how is this dirogatory? Support your ideas with examples.

Second, spot you dont have to participate. I was wondering what other people thought and I dont need you to get all angry. ITs in General Dis/ chit chat for a reason. You dont want to participate, FINE! DONT!

Saying I dislike Americanisation has nothing to do with my opinions of Americans. My dad is American. I have American aunts and oncles. American cousins. I spend a month of each year in NY state at camp and I LOVE THE PEOPLE THERE!

what i mean, goonie, is that was your topic one that made anyone else feel better? so just think about that next time and stop bringing up topics that make people feel like they must get deffensive. spot had a good point and you just keep antagonizing.

"what i mean, goonie, is that was your topic one that made anyone else feel better? "

This doesn't make sense. :/.

Why do you have to get deffensive? The only reason I am deffensive is because you attacked me. I am just asking peoples opinions that will shape our future. If you feel that you cant even talk about your personal opinions with friends, then there is something wrong.

Spot, if you knew anything about bandwith, youd realize that my post, is taking up very little of it. What is a real shame, is we just had the constitution unveiled, and here you are attacking me personally. I dont like it!

goonie, im not attacking you. its just that threads such as these may make some people fell uncomfortable. im not posting my opinion im just trying to get you and spot to compromise.

look goonie, im not mad at you. i like you. but lets just try to make everything work without bringing up contoversial topics. im certantly not attcking you, i just want you to see this point to make everyone on good terms.

Goonie, i think you mispelled "Americanization"
Here is what Dictionary.com says

v. A·mer·i·can·ized, A·mer·i·can·iz·ing, A·mer·i·can·iz·es
v. tr.
To make American in form, style, or character.
To absorb or assimilate into American culture.
To bring under American influence or control.

v. intr.
To become American, as in spirit. :p :D

I got the definition right, but I gave you the French spelling. :/

LOL. No, you are not. But since I am in French Immersion I tend to mix up the spelling of similar words.

oh really?

Im%20With%20Stupid.gif

And i think that we will never
Surrender.gif

why would we want to take over the world? - doesn't sound all that appealing to me. and chris, feel free to back up your statements with some ideas. i truly wanna hear them.

I'm not sure but I think we have been down this road before.

American culture is very new....not even really a culture in comparison to others. The American "culture", as a light referance, that I have seen infused in other countries has been mainly economic in nature. Is this a bad thing.??? It really depends on what was there before......e.g the liberation of France from Nazi occupation in WW2......if allied forces had not have "liberated" France how would the "American culture" been able to influance them and assist in its rebiulding . Who bailed out Mexico when it went chapt 11......the list is long.

Statment made after the bombing of pearl harbor on Dec 7:
"We have just won the war" Winston Churchill.

When asked what he meant he said:
"A sleeping lion has just been awoken", in realizing the industrial potential that the US has .....his statement has been proven true.

Take a moment and ask......where would our world be without the strength of the US economy. Granted there are many still starving but imagine for one second what it may be like. Is there another country on this planet with the industrial might, that the US did not help get there, that can replace this econimic dominance...?? We all should pray that the US economy thrives even in it's present recesion.

Sorry K. It has nothing to do with your economy. It has to do with your culture.(Euro Disney, MacD's, coke, clothes, music.)

Seth

i think you are missing something here goonie. we have never tried to take over a country or controll them. what we do is help them. like germany for instance. after ww2, we could have persued further and even conquered germeny. but did we? we dont have to help the mexican economy. but are we? we didn't have to help rebuild the afghanistan government. but we are anyways. see it is not us to blame for americanisstion, in my opinion, for the real term should be wannabeamericanisation. see all over the world people are trying to duplicate our government, military, and economy. but why? because we are an awesome example. our government has never failed us nor has our military and our economy is down but never out. i mean look at mexico. for the first time in a long time, the elected a president that wasn't PRI. so please take this into consideration.

1- I am not missing anything mac. Did I say you were trying to control a country? I didn't. But there are countries in my opinion who you are able to persuad heavily where Americanisation is not a big concern. IE. Saudi Arabia. But this is something completely different!

2- Did I say you dont try and help certain countries?

3- Yes you did have to rebuild some form of Afghanistan, or else the US would not have gotten International support!

4- Once again I never blamed you for Americanization. I dont believe the term should be wanna... because most ppl really dont want to be like americans, but they dont realize that they are becoming american. Not everyone would agree your culture is awesome! ;)

5- You gov. never failed eh? .....

PS Off to emergency room. Might be there a while. Explain later

Seth

but we don't help or influence any country unless it is good for them too and they are asking for help in adopting some of our ideas. and another thing, when something happens like treaties or alliances are made, its not just us, but nato also. so we hardly ever do anything for our sole good but for international good. just think of how much worse the middle east could be if nato hadn't gottem involved.

Mac I am sorry you live in a dream world! YOU DO! Have you ever been outside the States? I live in Canada and we feel your influence most! I have been to Europe and seen it there too! And it is not your government MAC, its the free enterprise.

THE MIDDLE EAST WOULD BE SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH BETTER IF THE US HAD NOT GOTTEN INVOLVED! THERE WOULD BE NO AL-QUEDA AND THE WORLD WOULD BE A MORE PEACEFULL PLACE!!!!! Canada is part of NATO and not in the middle east. Sometimes the US does things alone MAC!

I have to go to school. Explain my ER thing later!

Seth

umm, sorry to say goonie, but you are wrong. the whole problem started before the US got involved. The whole problem started with Britain founding Isreal and dividing up the middle East. They screwed up BADLY. This is the cause of all the aggression, and the fact that Isreal kicked the Arabs butt in the 6 Days war.

goonie, you dont uderatand THAT IT IS NOT THE US'S FAULT FOR HAVING OTHER COUNTRIES WANT TO BE LIKE US!! we never thrust ourselves upon other countries. i must agree that we do screw up in a lot of situations. take somalia in black hawk down for insatance. we really screwed up. but we went there for good reasons. and i feel very hurt that you'd say al queda is the us's fault. it is a bunch of people who are jelous because we are a superpower. NOW HOW THE HELL IS THAT OUR FAULT?!? we do get involved i a lot of s*** but trust me, it is only for the good of everyone.

It has nothing to do with your economy. It has to do with your culture.(Euro Disney, MacD's, coke, clothes, music.)

another thing goonie, how is our creativity in inventing such things to be blamed upon us? i mean why aren't you getting "excited" over Japan. look at them, half our electronics and technology comes from Japan and how many people are saying "boo hoo how come their electronics are being used in our country?" you know goonie, you should stop being so ignorant and close minded. you can't simply narrow down on one group as being a cause for this. i certantly am not wippering because we adopted ice hockey. i respect it and canada so why don't you respect the US for a change.

Mac stop going on the biggest ego trip ever. The US helps other countries to help themselves. They help Mexico because they have strong economic ties and if their economy goes down so does the US. The US helped Afghanistan rebuild in their own model so that Mr. binLaden couldn't run his terrorist camps.
THE WORLD DOES NOT WANT TO BE LIKE THE US. Period.
It is too easy to blame all the problems of the middle east on the US. It is also too easy to blame all the problems of the middle east on the middle east.
Yes creating Israel right in the middle of the middleeast was definately not the brightest of all ideas. But the US definately had their foot up the butts of the governemtns there as well.

And to goonie. Stop trying to change the americans. You're getting nowhere, we've both tried before in "Iraq???" These conversations are a waste of everybodys time.

All the convo's go like this
Goonie, boo america
Mac, america is god
random person, i agree/disagree with goonie/mac
Mac, america is god
Goonie, boo america
it goes on
we had 5 pages of that crap in "Iraq????"

PLEASE STOP

i certantly don't think america is god. i just want people to respect us and try to look at all the good we have done instead of the bad and to try to stop blaming us for countries personal problems.

Originally posted by Goonie
Sorry K. It has nothing to do with your economy. It has to do with your culture.(Euro Disney, MacD's, coke, clothes, music.)

Seth

Seth...no problem. However I think that you missed my point.

Our economy has become sort of a culture in itself. As most countries has. The difference is that it's not that old. The US has more cultural infusion than any other country in the world. We are muts. German, Italian, Irish.....etc the list goes on...I myself am an imigrant from Italy. The US represents a marriage of many different cultures. So to say "your culture" as a strictly American term or as you posted it is clearly misleading.

We Americans, or Italians, Germans, Irishman, Russians, French, Jews......etc resent the fact that our American culture has been misrepresented. However as I have brought my Italian culture to America....America, the new country, has brought it's culture to you. Weather people accept it or not is a different story. Some will and some will not....just as we do with other courtries....but then again thats the way of the world now isn't it.

I dont agree K. The US is a melting pot. That means that all those cultures you are talking about get all mixed into something completely NEW! Canada on the other hand is not a melting pot. Those cultures actually survive in Canada. Toronto is the MOST diverse city in the world(UN FACT). And I have decided not to dwell on past post. Mac, what I said about the middle east I still find true. I dont think the ME would be as bad without US involvement. I am not saying whether it is right or wrong

hey, a melting pot is a good thing. look at the middle east during the ottoman empire, in Bagdhad of all places :). so, don't go dissing melting pots w/o trying it!

Back