American Sail's SunBlazer

SaltyMark

So I saw an American Sail - SunBlazer at the Annapolis sailboat show. Clearly built to compete with the Sunfish but made in USA. Looks like a very well made boat and has the lateen rig as well. About $4K BNIB. Can someone give me the skinny on this boat/builder?

Not familiar with that but I just bought an American Sail Aqua Finn and it is almost a clone of the Sunfish. It has sleeved sail as opposed to the rings and as i understand it therefore a bit less adjustability for conditions but i don't care. I am a new sailor and have no complaints.

I see Sunblazer on their site but not Windblazer. I think the "Blazer" has a taller mast than does the Aqua Finn. It is a 2 piece mast. The Aqua Finn , which i have is a clone to the Sunfish. i believe the "Blazer, (Wind? Sun?) is more performance oriented. I'm not sure.

What I do know is they are all about customer service. Dave at American Sail has a great reputation . He can answer all your questions. There are for sure differences between the Blazer and the Aqua Finn.

Originally I wanted a Sunfish and was willing to buy new but none were available so I went Aqua Finn and have been loving this boat!!

Hereare 2 short videos of the Aqua Finn

Last edited:
Ive repaired the local camp fleets with the girl scouts having 1/2 dozen or more Aqua Finns. Amer Sail seems like a family business and all about service...as they deal straight with the customer. Ive bought gallons of gelcoat (some massive repairs!) at crazy low prices. That said the Sunfish is actually built a little more robust. The Aqua Finn hull layups are extremely thin....but certainly dont oil can and do the job.
Great American company on the east coast. I like the fish....seems more tweak-able and easier to upgrade/customize. However the Finn metal rudder blade and molded in splashguards may be a plus.

Also the builder of the "14-6" day-sailer.

Fullscreen capture 10242017 31447 AM.bmp.jpg

I found this—what I've underlined seems to be the only reference to "American-made":

Fullscreen capture 10242017 30017 AM.bmp.jpg

You can buy a good used Sunfish and, in saving $3000, learn to use epoxy in fiberglass repair. (A skill you might need eventually—anyway).

Last edited:
Also the builder of the "14-6" day-sailer.

View attachment 24907

I found this—what I've underlined seems to be the only reference to "American-made":

View attachment 24906

You can buy a good used Sunfish and, in saving $3000, learn to use epoxy in fiberglass repair. (A skill you might need eventually—anyway).

Looks like the Sunblazer may have replaced the Aqua Finn. Looks like same boat.

The sail is American made, in Florida I believe.

The hull is made in S. Carolina .

Thanks for the response everyone!

I was told that the Sunblazer was less geared for the camp crowd and more along the sunfish style; not quite sure what that meant but I assumed is was less mass production? Idk.

Also, the sail is not the sleeve type but just like the sunfish with the rings etc. I spoke with Chris at the sailboat show and he was def a stand-up guy so I have confidence in their customer service.

My issues with buying a used sunfish is that you really never know what your getting so for the extra money; I'm looking to buy new. Although I agree that $4K is steep for a little daysailer; it seems to be the going price and resale values seem to be adequate as well.

I'll keep you posted if I buy one.

Happy sailing!

Why not call American sail and ask about Aqua Finn vs Sunblazer. If you are spending 4K may as well et the craft better suited to your needs. JMO

Actually I did ask at these questions at the boat show. Again, the sail type (particularly boom/sail configuration) and hull design on the Sunblazer was more to my liking. Thanks though.

Back