am I too light??

Hi all,
I'v been sailing for 3 year now.
Last year I bought a laser 2, but I don't always have a friend to sail with...

I'd like to buy a laser 1 so I could handle the boat better alone.

here is my question, I 'm 16 year old and I only weight 145lbs(~10.3 stone) am'I gonna be able to recover from a capsize alone?
and if the boat turtle am'I gonna be able to turn it back .

thx

Pierre

p.s:

Re: am I to light??

You should have no problem righting the boat, but I would recommend a radial rig. For the radial, your wait is right within what is referred to as the "optimum weight range".

No reason you can't sail a Laser original, full-size or radial. On a full-size you'll definitely have to hike, but it you are tall and skinny (> 6 ft.) I suspect you would do really well upwind.

I would prefer to have the laser full size because I will probably become biger...
I'm 6'4'':cool: and hiking is not a probleme.

thx

any other opinion?
No reason you can't sail a Laser original, full-size or radial. On a full-size you'll definitely have to hike, but it you are tall and skinny (> 6 ft.) I suspect you would do really well upwind.

I would prefer to have the laser full size because I will probably become biger...
I'm 6'4'':cool: and hiking is not a probleme.

thx

any other opinion?

6' 4" and 145??!! Yes, you will get bigger. You just need to eat something.

At your height, I wouldn't waste your time with a radial. I would start sailing a full size now.

I have an other question.
I know that in the laser 2 there is a self baler but is there one in the
laser 1??

The Laser original does have a self bailer. It was an add-on to older boats, but I believe new boats come with it now. It doesn't bail real well, and the O-rings used for springs like to wear out. However, it will get the water out of the cockpit on a breezy reach.

Wy??

---------------------------
thanks for all your replies,you guys are really helpfull

Being tall, when you hike your body works more effectively to keep the boat flat. Being lightweight, you don't have any extra mass to drag along (really helps downwind too). It's the best of both worlds.

Being so tall, tacking under the boom may be a little clumbsy at first. Time on the water will fix that.

Back