Class Politics Aluminium replacement traveller fittings

jeffers

Hi,

I have heard that you can get an all aluminium replacement for the small plastic fittings for the traveller rope.

Having had one let go I am very tempted to buy a couple. The compmany that makes them tells me they are class legal, can a measurer confirm this?

Cheers, Jeffers

Re: Aluminium replacemtn traveller fittings

Not a measurer, but they've been standard on new boats for a number of years, my 2002 came with them. I believe they need to be the builder supplied cast aluminum (I think Holt is the actual manufacturer)

It's also legal to replace the plastic fairlead at the outboard end of the boom with the aluminum version (those are known to break as well)

See rule 3 (b) " vi. The plastic fairleads and plastic clam cleats may be replaced in the same position with an identical size and shape fitting made of metal. "

So, check that what you are being sold is the same size and shape as the plastic part, and you will be legal.

They do look identical to the Holt plastic jobs. Interesting about them being on new boats since 2002. I had 180831 from new and it had the plastic fittings on it (think that was around 2003/2004).

Back