AlumaCraft S-12

Mike K

Just got done repairing a AlumaCraft S-12, Trying to put up sail? Anybody got some pictures to help me.
DSCF3640.JPG

If you scroll down here to the post by l and Cw, you will see the boat has a Gunter rig, somewhat like a gaff. Either you are missing the Gunter pole or have not hoisted what you have properly. Sailrite makes mention of the s12 Gunter rig on thei site too. Good luck.

Went sailing for the first time. Tipped her over once and tangled with a few fishermen. I mean their lines. I have a small crack in the deck that lets water fill the inside of the boat.. about sank her a few times, Was thinking of just fiberglassing the spot butt it is right were you sit. Might I have to cut and reinforce That spot. Any thoughts on that repair? It is a slow leak but pulling her up on shore to drain her is a chore due to weight. Also my wife liked sailing and want me to upgrade. Wat is a boat like this worth?

A Sunfish of that vintage is worth a few hundred bucks, so this off-brand boat in need of repair will be with less than that.

Was thinking that the vintage made it worth more than that. I will sail this boat for a while. Seems to be worth more to me … A few others on the lake thought this boat was really awesome. Had lots of fun. Found out 2 things, 1. I am not very good at it, 2, my daughter had a nack for it. So much fun. Problem is not very comfortable.

Was thinking that the vintage made it worth more than that. I will sail this boat for a while. Seems to be worth more to me … A few others on the lake thought this boat was really awesome. Had lots of fun. Found out 2 things, 1. I am not very good at it, 2, my daughter had a knack for it. So much fun. Problem is not very comfortable.
The round chine and tall rig are features likely to make this boat "tender" to sail. (Like my long-sold Laser was for me).

Can the crack be repaired with pop-rivets and a rounded patch of aluminum? Picture--please?

Edited to add:
Y'know, a Sunfish sailor that needs to pass under bridges could benefit from your Gunter rig. Modified/shortened to fit the Sunfish, how would moving the center of effort aft work for a Sunfish?

Last edited:
Going under a,bridge....just flip it and "swim" it under??
Well, if there is minimal or a favorable current and no motorboat traffic, you are good to go! How many people face this issue? In the case a very low bridge wouldn’t dropping the sail and mast if needed and paddling be safer and faster?

Hey, I'm new to this forum and new to sailing. I have an old S-12 I'm trying to restore and I need to replace the cleats--one is broken and the other is stripped and came right out of the deck. I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of the inside of this hull. I want to know what I'm getting into. I think I have to cut a deck plate hole just forward of the mast to get at the cleat hardware. I'm wondering how thick the fiberglass is and what flotation is inside. Does anybody have any advice? I've never done this before but want to fix this boat up because it's a lot of fun on our small lake and my kids love it. Thanks.

I found a crack in the back upper deck... right in the drainage groove.....Pretty much where you would sit. Lets water inside the boat. Any suggestion on the fix? Mike
PS also thinking of upgrading. What is a boat like this worth. 1 reply was $200.00...Is that true?

Attachments

• IMG_0718.JPG
    IMG_0718.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 77
  • DSCF3639.JPG
    DSCF3639.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 64
Btw...people finding Sunfish less than $500 either get them free or know where to look. You won't see one for sale at that price on these forums....unless it should be in a dumpster or needing major repairs or parts. You "should" be able to get at least $500 for one with trailer...any vintage...IF it is ready to sail.....so figure a bit less for yours.

I found a crack in the back upper deck... right in the drainage groove.....Pretty much where you would sit. Lets water inside the boat. Any suggestion on the fix? Mike
This crack is in aluminum? I'd drill a -inch hole at each end of the fracture, cover it temporarily with tape, and check if it "creeps" after your next sail.

My guess is that this is a indication of serious hull deformation: an expensive professional "weld" would only be temporary. Expect the crack to open up again. If it doesn't, you're probably good for a time. But we have a real expert here on this type of damage: send a private message
(AKA, "conversation") to member "Roller".

I suspect it was caused by hitting a big wave, especially as the crack is directly under the helmsman. A too-highly sprung trailer mismatch (like a Jet-Ski trailer) could also be at fault. Aluminum doesn't take well to bending. :(

As for a sales price, "you never know". The newness of the trailer could bump it $100. I'd put a $800 price tag on both, and take what you're comfortable with. If you want to switch to a Sunfish, I can tell you how to get two complete 70's Sunfish for $600 (or less). My last purchase sounded good over the phone. Sixty miles away, he asked me for $50 to trailer it to my house! A nice Sunfish for $300! It needs two pop-rivets—that's all. :)

Well, if there is minimal or a favorable current and no motorboat traffic, you are good to go! How many people face this issue? In the case a very low bridge wouldn’t dropping the sail and mast if needed and paddling be safer and faster?
Apparently, those who sail on the Mystic River:
Help me pick a sailing dinghy - SailNet Community

Here's another Gunter rig, on the older, but highly-regarded Cape Dory 10:

Attachments

• Fullscreen capture 262019 50113 AM.bmp.jpg
    Fullscreen capture 262019 50113 AM.bmp.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 57

Back