Alumacraft S-12

CavalierKenny

Have been looking for an inexpensive Sunfish or Sailfish for my kids, and I just found an Alumacraft/Alpex S-12 fiberglass sailboat for sale. Everything is there and in pretty good condition. One nicely done patch on the bottom. There is cracking and fading in the finish. There is a ridge along the center of the lowered center part of the boat (can you tell I'm a novice?) where you put your legs, which has been patched or taped in the past. I also noticed that the metal ring/flange where the mast is inserted into the hull is slightly loose.
Any thoughts on quality, stability, and ease of use of these old boats?
What should I expect to pay for something like this?
Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!
Ken

If I'm remembering right those are a Scow design like a Butterfly. They don't appear too often that I've seen. Can't say about the condition you describe without some pictures. Any way you can visit the boat and take some. What it needs fix-up wise will influence the value. Most board boats sail alright. For $50 it could be great, but for $500 not worth it.

Greetings all,

I recently got an old Alacraft Alpex S-12 from a friend who is moving. I am wondering if anybody has any advice on the best way to haul a small sailboat like this. Any thoughts or trailer recommendations?

Thank you!

Greetings all,

I recently got an old Alacraft Alpex S-12 from a friend who is moving. I am wondering if anybody has any advice on the best way to haul a small sailboat like this. Any thoughts or trailer recommendations?

Thank you!
I have one that I got fairly recently in pretty fine condition. For a trailer, we simply took a trailer for a Lund boat, adjusted the rails slightly and tied the boat down when hauling her as well as having her connected to the winch on the trailer. The rigging can be a little confusing at first, but you'll get the hang of it if you sail enough.
Also, to make moving her from storage to the water faster at the cabin, we took an old dolly, cut off the platform at the bottom, and added some old to extend it. This was just to make a quick hand trailer for her, and it works pretty well.

Enjoy!

I have a 1970 Alpex by Alumacraft S-12 in decent condition. Fiberglass is good - just faded. Sail and mast are good. Sail had a tear, but was repaired a few years ago. Center board (aluminum) and all other parts are here and in good condition. We've had it for more than 20 years. Sails fine but we no longer use it. Any idea what it's worth? I want to sell it, but I want to be very reasonable in the price. I have no clue to its value.

Last edited:

Back