Alternative Mast Flotation device question

Rod

Hi!

For those guys who have used milk or water gallons/jugs for mast flotation, how did it do with preventing turtling after capsizing?
I was wondering how my fully inflated mooring bumpers would do for this purpose if attached to tip of mast.
Any thoughts guys?

Thanks
Rod
image.jpg

Was able to try it out today as water was too cold.this is what looks attached to my mast
image.jpg

I wonder if that tangle is indicative of what is to come when you hoist the main. Just a thought...

Just tried my mast float shown above. Works great.
I have never sailed in strong winds thus hav not capsized before. I am so impressed with how much it took for me to tip the boat. I weigh 160 lbs only but was able to easily right the boat with just hanging on the centerboard. Will post the video soon.

The only thing I can say about the idea of having bumpers aloft is every ounce of weight up at the mast head equals many pounds taken away of stability acting like a fulcrum. Try using light weight styrofoam.

I haven't tried it yet but I have an inflatable Kayak Float Bag that I plan to attach to the top of the main. Lightweight and can be folded when not in use. Will report back when I get the chance to test it. Volume is about 15L.

51ZevTpP70L._SL1000_.jpg

I've got the Baby Bob up there. Had a nice custom bracket made which inserts into the mast with a small wing nutted through bolt to hold secure. Very easy to mount, so on a given day I can use or leave it off. It does add some fulcrum effect and looks a bit different but it's a secure feeling to know I can't turtle. Here's some pics.....

Attachments

• KIMG0806.jpeg
    KIMG0806.jpeg
    517.2 KB · Views: 75
  • KIMG0807.jpeg
    KIMG0807.jpeg
    556.8 KB · Views: 77
  • KIMG0809(1).jpeg
    KIMG0809(1).jpeg
    460.8 KB · Views: 88
  • KIMG0995.jpeg
    KIMG0995.jpeg
    554.8 KB · Views: 100
The only thing I can say about the idea of having bumpers aloft is every ounce of weight up at the mast head equals many pounds taken away of stability acting like a fulcrum. Try using light weight styrofoam.

I am in agreement with you Rju, I recently was walking down an isle in the local Fred Meyers and picked up a yellow Styrofoam float, 1'' hole through middle, conical at on end and flat at the other, used for crab pot "booies", 11.00 dollars. Tied it on with polyprope float line, tried it out June 4, no turtle! Spray painted it nine coats of silver, same as mast shade...having fun messing about!

Check out the Intensity Sails anti turtle mast float for the c420. I use them for our junior class in c420s and it is almost impossible to turtle when used. No modifications are needed and it is pretty light.

I was lucky. The guy I bought my 14.2 from, installed a masthead float from a RS Quest, so I was spared the embarrassment of having a milk jug, fender, or ugly, HobieCat float mounted aloft. :D

One day I plan to test just how fast the 14.2 turtles when capsized. Hopefully I'll find that I don't need a float at all.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_b0b.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_b0b.jpeg
    331.3 KB · Views: 83
Curious how you consider the RS float so much more sexy than the "ugly" Hobie?

Attachments

• gfssd.JPG
    gfssd.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 77
It's longer and narrower. Sleeker. It doesn't look like a bloated tadpole, sitting on my mast. :D

But let's be honest. They all look stupid. I'd much rather have a wind meter up there. :cool:

LOL... well said :p

So surely it's been considered already, but would jamming one of those "pool noodles" down the mast work?

From what I've read, it doesn't work at all. The flotation needs to be outside of the mast and has to provide more buoyancy than a noodle.

Adding a noodle might prevent water from entering the mast, but it won't provide any floatation.

I just found this in an archived thread on this site.

Adding "floatation" inside a mast is kind of a exercise in futility. If the mast leaks the noodles will eventually end up absorbing water and/or blocking any water that gets in from flowing out.

Air has more "floatation" than anything else. They add "floatation material" to boats to prevent spaces from filling up with water when submerged.
Notice they don't fill the hull with foam. Only use specifically placed blocks for structural strength not to keep the boat afloat.
Capsize preventors are added to the top "outside" of the mast/upper spar in the form usually of a bottle to keep the boat from turtling.

My jr physicist daughter observed mast buoyancy is a function of displacement and weight. Adding stuff inside the mast only increases it’s mass without increasing the displacement. Her conclusion was P2’s mast will float lower in the water with the added weight of the recreational rigatoni.

Back