Alpex by Aluma Craft?

OhioYooper

Anyone know anything about this boat? Its a Sunfish-like fiberglass boat with Sunfish-like rigging. Tag states its an Alpex by Aluma Craft Model S-12 made in Minneapolis. I can date it to between 1961 and 1972 (They didn't make fiberglass till 61 and they stopped making them in Minneapolis in 72). Its about 12' in length. It is VERY heavy. After reading some posts here it may just be wet, but it floats just fine, and up till recently has been out of water for several years. I don't want to start cutting into it without knowing more about it. :eek:
Any help would be greatly appreciated as I've found nothing on the internet about these boats.

I have also aquired a S-12 Alpex by (Alumacraft) and am looking forward to trying it this summer here in Georgia. I was actually shocked at how heavy it is, and the hull is tight with no indications of cracks or leak points. This is a very well made boat. The title for mine indicates 1966.
The mast has some distortion at the point where it is flush with the deck. The mast doesn't have any guying so all the presure is on that point. I would recommend inserting a strong wood plug about 18 inches into the bottom of the mast then sealing it good to reinforce it.
Like to hear how you think it performs. George

I was just taking a long shot with a search engine this morning and found our reference to an Alpex S-12. I have two of them. I have sailed them for many years. Mine are aqua and white although they did come in red and white too. Wanna know how it compares to Sunfish sailing along side by side? Performance? Weaknesses? Ask away! I have already learned some stuff about em from your posts that I didn't know, so I owe you!

I have this boat but it is missing just the aluminum rudder. I know that this part would be just about impossible to find. In general, is there a way to either use a rudder from another boat or to fabicate a replacement (out of wood perhaps)?

I have two different rudders for my S-12 boats. Depending on your resources, it may be possible to make a replacement. I would be happy to send you pictures of these rudders and measurements.

It is just good to see someone else messing around with these boats!

windancer55 said:
I have two different rudders for my S-12 boats. Depending on your resources, it may be possible to make a replacement. I would be happy to send you pictures of these rudders and measurements.

It is just good to see someone else messing around with these boats!

Cool. I actually did try making a replacement once. It was a while ago, when I was much younger and didn't know what I was doing. I think I made it out of redwood or cedar, and I put several coats of varnish on it. I was never happy with it because there was way to much give on it compared to the aluminum rudder.
As I recall, I quickly got tired of using the homemade rudder because I spent too much time thinking about it breaking instead of just enjoying the sailing.

I believe I may still have the measurements, but if you have the time and a good way to scan the pictures or measurements, my email is:
[email protected]

I just bought one of these on e-bay a few days ago. Mine is made of fiberglass, and I think was made in 1977. I took her out on the lake yesterday and had a great time. Seems like a sturdy boat, and I'm looking forward to many fine days of sailing ahead.

The person I bought it from showed me some pictures which showed the boat rigged with a jib. Anyone know where I could find more information about how to jib rig my Alpex s-12?

dkampenhout said:
I just bought one of these on e-bay a few days ago. Mine is made of fiberglass, and I think was made in 1977. I took her out on the lake yesterday and had a great time. Seems like a sturdy boat, and I'm looking forward to many fine days of sailing ahead.

The person I bought it from showed me some pictures which showed the boat rigged with a jib. Anyone know where I could find more information about how to jib rig my Alpex s-12?

have fun. The boat goes fast enough as it is.

I just got one with Jib. It's called the S-12 Jib Accessory Kit #24-04-41 and is made by the same folks who made the sails for this boat originally. Namely Wm. J Mills & Co. Sailmakers out of Greenport NY.

A bit off the subject, but about 1970, a manufacturer made an all-aluminum 18-foot catamaran. (The name began with the word "Sea-?????—"Sea-Squirt"?). Like the Hobie 16 catamarans, it had no boards, and relied on the hull shape to go to windward.

Same complaint as above—too heavy.

More info on the AlumaCraft S-12:
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/gene...g/413345-alumacraft-fiberglass-sailboat/page2
fetch

115.jpg

The rig pictured is called a Gunter rig—a modified gaff rig. The hull itself (in fiberglass) is like a scow-class sailboat—which is to say—they do sail quickly!

I just noticed this thread began in 2004! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
While looking for tax papers, I found the boating article I'd been saving. Because the information comes from the 70s, there's little mention of this aluminum catamaran. (I would like to have given it a chance!)

[/ATTACH]
P3150006.JPG
P3150005.JPG

No really. If you think righting a Sunfish can be a chore :(, righting a catamaran is forced labor! :confused: My catamaran sailing days are behind me, so I enjoy every sailing day with my Sunfish.

Alumacraft made fiberglass boats—Who knew? :D

@ L&VW
Hoping you can help me. From what I can tell you have an alumacraft s12. we just acquired one, are also new to sailing. we are trying to figure out the rigging. I found your post here above with your pictures.

we are trying to figure out how you secure the sail at the end of the boom.
also trying to figure out the lines on the boom.

if you look at the image it seems as if there should be a way to attach the sail to the end of the boom.
FYI the tear you see we did repair.

Attachments

• boom end.jpg
    boom end.jpg
    923.7 KB · Views: 92
  • aluma craft.jpg
    aluma craft.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 91
  • boom end2.jpg
    boom end2.jpg
    450.3 KB · Views: 91
I also just acquired one of these . Any one out there still own one? ...going to work on restoring her this winter and would love some connections. Thanks in advance

To the previous owners, you could send private messages through this forum's "conversation" network.

Active email addresses should return answers; plus, multiple owners can be listed to your one inquiry. :)

A bit off the subject, but about 1970, a manufacturer made an all-aluminum 18-foot catamaran. (The name began with the word "Sea-?????—"Sea-Squirt"?). Like the Hobie 16 catamarans, it had no boards, and relied on the hull shape to go to windward.

Same complaint as above—too heavy.

More info on the AlumaCraft S-12:
Alumacraft fiberglass sailboat
fetch

115.jpg

The rig pictured is called a Gunter rig—a modified gaff rig. The hull itself (in fiberglass) is like a scow-class sailboat—which is to say—they do sail quickly!

I just noticed this thread began in 2004! :rolleyes:
On this rig is the rigging tied to the rudder?

Hello,

We just picked up our S-12 last fall during the pandemic. It has a decent trailer we are going to restore first. Man oh man this haul is heavy. Shockingly heavy! It has all the parts so we are considering ourselves lucky and it has one spot that should be repaired. I have a few questions and will list them below.

1. Where can I find the plastic sail hoops that attach the sail to the mast? Will sunfish hoops fit?

2. Ive seen pictures of the jib but how do you attach it correctly and how do you sail with the jib on a S-12?

3. Is it possible to sand the top and bottom of the haul and refinish? Or is it better to leave it alone? I don’t mind putting the time and effort in.
Thanks in advance as I hope to locate some fellow owners who want to share thoughts.

oh the attached pictures are from today when I took it out for the maiden voyage. I haven’t sailed since I was 12 and things went pretty smoothly.

Chris

Attachments

• DD280C42-154D-4E13-ACB6-48F6569AB5E5.jpeg
    DD280C42-154D-4E13-ACB6-48F6569AB5E5.jpeg
    646.6 KB · Views: 81
  • 76637203-0D52-4D7A-A890-8D8D979ACF05.jpeg
    76637203-0D52-4D7A-A890-8D8D979ACF05.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 91
Hello,
1. Where can I find the plastic sail hoops that attach the sail to the mast? Will sunfish hoops fit?

2. Ive seen pictures of the jib but how do you attach it correctly and how do you sail with the jib on a S-12?

3. Is it possible to sand the top and bottom of the haul and refinish? Or is it better to leave it alone? I don’t mind putting the time and effort in.
Thanks in advance as I hope to locate some fellow owners who want to share thoughts.

oh the attached pictures are from today when I took it out for the maiden voyage. I haven’t sailed since I was 12 and things went pretty smoothly.

Chris
1) What is the diameter of the spar you want to connect to?

Dollar Tree stores sell shower curtain rings that might fit.

2) Given the blocks' (pulley) attachment points, a jib should be easy to reconstruct. It will overlap the mainsail, and give more power than it's size would suggest. There should be holes for additional jib blocks' (pulley) attachment-points on the deck and the top of the mast. (But not the upper spar).

At the aft-end of the boom, there should be a hole there for tensioning the foot (clew) of the sail. If not, I'd drill one.

Some members describe lateen (Sunfish) sails on their S-12s. A jib isn't going to work then. The gunter rig (pictured) will support a jib.

Sailing with a jib will be intuitive. :cool:

1) What is the diameter of the spar you want to connect to?

Dollar Tree stores sell shower curtain rings that might fit.

2) Given the blocks' (pulley) attachment points, a jib should be easy to reconstruct. It will overlap the mainsail, and give more power than it's size would suggest. There should be holes for additional jib blocks' (pulley) attachment-points on the deck and the top of the mast. (But not the upper spar).

At the aft-end of the boom, there should be a hole there for tensioning the foot (clew) of the sail. If not, I'd drill one.

Some members describe lateen (Sunfish) sails on their S-12s. A jib isn't going to work then. The gunter rig (pictured) will support a jib.

Sailing with a jib will be intuitive. :cool:

Thank you for the details. There seems to be a block (cork screw shaped attachment) on the deck aft of the mast, on each side of the deck. I’m not sure if these are for the jib. There is a horizontal cleat (sp?) in front and behind the mast that I tie in the rope when I raise the main sail. There are also two vertical cleats mounted behind the mast inside the boat. There is also a block (cork screw shaped attachment) on the top of the mast.

I guess at this point I should post more pictures.

I don’t know how intuitive sailing with the jib will be. I seem to struggle when turning with the main sail as it is. At the end of the day I don’t need the jib. I’m just curious. And I need some lessons. I sailed when I was around 12 but I didn’t retain much and as I am older I’m finding this boat is for someone more limber.

As for the mast hooks I’m not sure if dollar tree will work. The mast is like 3” in diameter and the two hoops I have left seem to be able to handle the tension needed to hold the sail. Every mast hoop I find online is for a sunfish. I guess I need to figure out the mast diameter for a sunfish.

thanks again for the information you provided.

Chris

Thank you for the details. There seems to be a block (cork screw shaped attachment) on the deck aft of the mast, on each side of the deck. I’m not sure if these are for the jib. There is a horizontal cleat (sp?) in front and behind the mast that I tie in the rope when I raise the main sail. There are also two vertical cleats mounted behind the mast inside the boat. There is also a block (cork screw shaped attachment) on the top of the mast.

I guess at this point I should post more pictures.

I don’t know how intuitive sailing with the jib will be. I seem to struggle when turning with the main sail as it is. At the end of the day I don’t need the jib. I’m just curious. And I need some lessons. I sailed when I was around 12 but I didn’t retain much and as I am older I’m finding this boat is for someone more limber.

As for the mast hooks I’m not sure if dollar tree will work. The mast is like 3” in diameter and the two hoops I have left seem to be able to handle the tension needed to hold the sail. Every mast hoop I find online is for a sunfish. I guess I need to figure out the mast diameter for a sunfish.

thanks again for the information you provided.

Chris

Did you ever find mast hoops that worked? My plastic ones have disintegrated and I've been using zip ties. I was hoping to find some new ones. I've had my boat since 1986, but I was only 10 when I got it and I'm not sure where my Dad got my hoops from.

Did you ever find mast hoops that worked? My plastic ones have disintegrated and I've been using zip ties. I was hoping to find some new ones. I've had my boat since 1986, but I was only 10 when I got it and I'm not sure where my Dad got my hoops from.
HI, Did you ever find a source for those Mast Hoops for the Alumacraft S12? I have been looking for that item for a few years.
I have made a couple MacGyver fixes but none have been all that successful.

sailboat.jpg

Yes, They are known as racing sail boats. My dad bought one in the '70s used with trailer, red and white. After he passed away in '81 it became mine. I had a blast with it and bought a house on a lake to go with the boat. I still have the boat but it has not been in the water for many years. I need to assess it and get it back into sailing form. I would like to hear how folks have gone about being sure they are tight and water ready.

Yes they are a very very heavy small craft! But the weight does provide some extra stability in the water. Fun to sail but finding replacement parts is a real problem. Lack of demand do to its rarity. All part are unique to this boat, you can’t sub in sunfish or other more mass produced models. But if you have a complete boat, buff out the fiberglass and launch it!

What about 3D printing clips? I know there are designs on thingiverse for sunfish clips, can’t be hard to modify those to suit one’s needs.

Back