All Time Laser Records

gouvernail

Super Opinionated and Always Correct
Certainly there are a few worth noticing by now.

How many world Championships does anybody have...other than Scheidt?

Mattia D'Errico is at his fourth US Olympic team trials. Did anybody else qualify and sail in all of them?

I wish I had counted how many times one buddy of mine has dumped so he could be in the book.

Peter Seidenberg must have some records.

If I don't own the host and sail every race in an annual regatta record yet I plan to keep hosting and sailing until I get it.

Newt and his Orange Coffeepot may be ahead of me on that one. The regatta is older but I don't know if Newt has always been the host.

I believe Orange Coffepot is the oldest continuously held annual event.

One record that is not Laser but I really am happy I was there to see might be held by Earl Gairloff. In 1985, He won the Area F O'days at the age of 69. His son won the event 17 years before.

Our current NA VP won the Butterfly US nationals many years before his Dad won them. I am not certain how many years,
I have always been impressed by any dad who wins any sporting event AFTER his son has won it.

Archie Manning damn sure isn't gonna win any future Super Bowls.

Anyway...Anybody have Any records that should be recognized??

Michael Blackburn - among other titles, the first to cross Bass Strait in a laser. How would that go as an annual event?

Michael Blackburn - among other titles, the first to cross Bass Strait in a laser. How would that go as an annual event?

For most of us it would be..

Let's put it this way...

He is our Gertrude Ederle *
Suicide is not an annual option.

That trip was quite a feat.

about

that

gertrude

she

was

the

first

Woman to swim across the English Channel

Marc Jacobi is also sailing his 4th Trials regatta this week. I think maybe Ben Richardson is too, but he might have missed one. How about Kurt Taulbee?

How'bout record for crazy-ass stunts? Chris Raab, California Laser sailor of a certifiable quality, is sailing the Finn Trials with a certain Mr. Lineburner coaching him. Sounds like it might be worth the price of admission . . .

L

Certainly there are a few worth noticing by now.
One record that is not Laser but I really am happy I was there to see might be held by Earl Gairloff. In 1985, He won the Area F O'days at the age of 69. His son won the event 17 years before. [endquote]

Earl is still active on our board at Seabrook Sailing Club, and he is as passionate about sailing as always. He doesn't sail anymore, but he's a big proponent of youth sailing. He's one of the original founders of SSC. Let's all wish him the best of health and pleasure being involved in sailing.

Earl is still active on our board at Seabrook Sailing Club, and he is as passionate about sailing as always. He doesn't sail anymore, quote]

Horse crap....its a trap. Earl has held me to a lifetime "0 fer" record on the Sunfish.
When he turned seventy I stopped trying. Enough says me!!
What would be the thrill to finally get lucky and finish ahead of a life long nemisis for the very first time after he has turned 80?

But that tricky sneaky Earl has been sitting by pulling off all kinds of tricks to get me out there on a boat so he can sneak out there on a Sunfish to kick my butt again.

NO way. He is still under 90 years old.

He's tricky.

He's sly.

He probably sneaks out on Galveston Bay in the middle of moonless nights to polish his skills

While he waits to sucker me with his, " I have not sailed since I fell and ended up in the hospital a few years ago."

Hah!! I'm Not buying it.

He has been keping his skills sharp by sailing in Junior regattas disguised as one of Malcolm Jones great grandkids.

Earl could still rig his Sunfish and beat 99.9% of anybody who ever rigged one.

Nope.

Earl ain't done.

He is still the best and he is NOT tricking me into coming to Seabrook with a Sunfish until I KNOW FOR certain he is not coming out to kick my butt!!!

In the meantime, I will only sail Lasers at SSC, rig in front of his house, pick Earl's brain to secure a teensy bit of his local knowledge whichg is generally sufficient to overwhelm the best of the Laser fleet, and flirt with his lovely wife when he ain't lookin!!!

Back