Alcort Sunfish FREE

Thread starter #1
Mahogany Alcort Sunfish is yours for the taking. I got this from a neighbor who planned on putting this in his restaurant that never opened. He got it from another neighbor that needed the space to build a new garage. Had it out for a sail over the weekend, it's a nice ride. Best guess on year is mid-50's. Looks like it needs vanish and paint to bring back the original glory. The last project I did like this resulted in tennis elbow. If you were looking to restore one of these and the purchase price was holding you back, here's your golden opportunity!
sf1.JPG photo.JPG wooden-sunfish.jpg sf4.jpg sf5.jpg sf6.jpg

Last edited:
I am the Scoutmaster of troop 252 in springfield, vt and our troop does a lot of sailing on the Great Sagandaga in NY. Our sailboat was damaged two weeks ago when a tree fell on it and smashed the bow. But if yours is still available would love to have our boys go over the finish and put it back into use on the lake. Can I contact you about this? Thanks!

Mahogany Alcort Sunfish is yours for the taking. I got this from a neighbor who planned on putting this in his restaurant that never opened. He got it from another neighbor that needed the space to build a new garage. Had it out for a sail over the weekend, it's a nice ride. Best guess on year is mid-50's. Looks like it needs vanish and paint to bring back the original glory. The last project I did like this resulted in tennis elbow. If you were looking to restore one of these and the purchase price was holding you back, here's your golden opportunity!
View attachment 15704 View attachment 15705 View attachment 15706 View attachment 15707 View attachment 15708 View attachment 15709
Hi, please add me to the queue of would-be restorers if those in front of me fall through. thanks, paul

Thread starter #5
I am the Scoutmaster of troop 252 in springfield, vt and our troop does a lot of sailing on the Great Sagandaga in NY. Our sailboat was damaged two weeks ago when a tree fell on it and smashed the bow. But if yours is still available would love to have our boys go over the finish and put it back into use on the lake. Can I contact you about this? Thanks!
Sure send your email or number

signal charlie

Staff member
Bay Sailor
Very generous of you to donate the boat, it will last many more years when restored with the new generation of epoxy paints and resins that we have now.

Please pass along my contact info to the folks who get it, we will be happy to answer questions about the 50s boat. Also they will want to pick up a later generation (1960s) Sailfish/wooden Sunfish rudder, that elephant ear won't turn anything! What we did was just buy another complete tiller/rudder/hardware setup, keeping in mind that transom is shorter and uses the 4 inch vertical rudder plate.

Good Luck!
Kent

Thread starter #8
Sure will Kent, the very first person that came to have a look took it. It was a high school sophomore, who with his father, was going to work on it over the winter. Sorry to the other responders.

Bay Sailor
Very generous of you to donate the boat, it will last many more years when restored with the new generation of epoxy paints and resins that we have now.

Please pass along my contact info to the folks who get it, we will be happy to answer questions about the 50s boat. Also they will want to pick up a later generation (1960s) Sailfish/wooden Sunfish rudder, that elephant ear won't turn anything! What we did was just buy another complete tiller/rudder/hardware setup, keeping in mind that transom is shorter and uses the 4 inch vertical rudder plate.

Good Luck!
Kent