Air Travel approved Hard Cases for blades?

ScottH

I am looking for a hard case for my centerboard, rudder, tiller, extension, etc. Is there one made for the Laser foils specifically? I found an old thread that suggested using a rifle or archery case. Has anyone tried this and if so, what brand and source would you suggest?

Thanks,
Scott

Scott,
When we went to Costa Rica with surfboards we put foam around the
edges w/ duct tape. We then put in a surfboard bag they did fine on plane. I hope this helps oh and they were not the insulated ones.
Mike

When I did CORK and Orange Bowl three times, I used an archery case. Like mjbhawg, I wrapped my blades in pipe insulation. The bow case is the only way to go, I was able to get my blades, all my lines, my sail/battens, wind indicator, and tiller and extension in the case. Sure it was crazy heavy, but it all fit in case.

There are no specific brands, but if you lay your daggerboard and tiller extension down and measure length and width, you'll figure out what you need - Finding a hard plastic bow case has gotten harder (IIRC they stopped making the one that just fit a few years ago) but rifle and keyboard cases work just as well.

Last time we flew to a regatta, the cases ran the gamut from normal blade bags, bow, rifle and keyboard cases (soft and hard cases) Everyone's blades made it back and forth w/o damage

Thanks....you've given me some good ideas. I never thought I would make a trip to the local Cabellas for Laser gear....:) Certainly if no hard cases work (at a reasonable price), it's good to know using pipe insulation, bubble wrap, and duct tape provide a good alternative.

Thanks,
Scott

well you used the pipe insulation, bubble wrap, and tape inside the case. At least thats what I did.

I'm afraid I do not, unfortunately it's inaccessible at the moment. I do know that it has a forest/wildlife scene on one side.

Bought this one about a month ago; survived it's first trip to Florida on Southwest just fine. Was hard to find one long enough for my tiller extension.

Be sure to buy TSA locks and be prepared for lots of questions about "is there a gun in there". Note also that this case has WHEELS so you can pull it behind you.

Mike S

http://www.caseclub.com/tz_0053.htm

Be aware that many airlines will charge for a second piece of luggage these days (if not the first one) :(

Scott,
Several things to consider:
- An archery (bow) case works perfectly, but be sure of dimensions before purchasing.
- The average rifle case is too small
- Purchase a travel lock(s) to go on the case. These are TSA approved since they have the master key to open it for inspection. They will definitely inspect it. These cases really are noticeable and draw lots of attention.
- My case can hold all of my rigging (vang, outhaul, cunningham, etc.), my tiller with extension, rudder, centerboard, and a sail.
- it is a tight fit but with a little practice it fits very snug and moves very little.
- mine came with foam lining as cushion
- I got mine through Cabelas.com, but make sure of dimensions. I bought a Plano brand. That is a straight rectangular shape.
- Remember to measure twice and buy once.:)
Ralph

Back