Ainslie's lifejacket

I learned a while back that, (at least in the laser class rules) there is no requirement for a life jacket at all. This can be changed in the NOR or SI"s of any event and they can specify if the floatation should be USCG class III approved.

I'm using an old style Musto red life jacket, (the one with the small air pockets all over it). I used to wear this on my J24 some years back ant then saw master sailor Mark Bear wearing one at a couple of masters events. I wear a spandex long sleeve shirt over the top and it really lowers my profile in the boat and makes it much easier to move around.

I learned a while back that, (at least in the laser class rules) there is no requirement for a life jacket at all. This can be changed in the NOR or SI"s of any event and they can specify if the floatation should be USCG class III approved.

I'm using an old style Musto red life jacket, (the one with the small air pockets all over it). I used to wear this on my J24 some years back ant then saw master sailor Mark Bear wearing one at a couple of masters events. I wear a spandex long sleeve shirt over the top and it really lowers my profile in the boat and makes it much easier to move around.

That sounds cool have you got any links i can't seem to find anything on the net?

Well. They don't make the Musto jackets anymore, but Zhik has a nice low profile vest, (the best I've seen) but they are pricey at $ 119.00 USD. Try Zhik.com to check them out.

North American sailors should be aware that according to the Zhik website the Zhik PFD is not USCG approved.

Good point Finn. If I get pulled over by the USCG for a "safety inspection" while sailing with my Musto jacket, (or the Zhik jacket) I will get nailed for improper floatation. However, I have decided to take my chances with the USCG if the regatta NOR does not specify USCG approved device.

Its usually the SIs that cover personal buoyancy requirements for racing. In GBR clubs have regulations to cover all members. But if you just sail from a beach you can do what you like.
I do not know about Laser international events but I did the Flying Dutchman Euros this year and buoyancy aids are checked at measurement. From the NOR-
19. Buoyancy​
All competitors shall wear personal flotation devices at all times whilst racing. The devices should be in
good condition and adequate for the wearer, as determined by the equipment inspector. It shall be in
accordance with the current specifications issued or approved by a National Authority affiliated to the
International Sailing Federation, or a Standards Organisation or Certification Authority recognised for that
purpose by its respective government.
Attention is drawn to RRS​
Fundamental Rule 1,2

What about these CO2 inflatables I see in the sporting goods stores, is there any reason not to use these?

I thought they were Type III certified...

What about these CO2 inflatables I see in the sporting goods stores, is there any reason not to use these?

I thought they were Type III certified...

I think most of them are. However, I hate the design. They are not designed for dingy sailing and they are a one trick pony. Once you've blown the CO2 cartridges you have to wear the cumbersome doughnut around your neck or on your chest for the rest of the day and if you get knocked out you're SOL. Not that the Musto is any better in a "get knocked out" situation.

...and if you get knocked out you're SOL. Not that the Musto is any better in a "get knocked out" situation.

That's true for anybody's jacket. Type III vests are not designed right an unconscious wearer.

The orange Type II around-the-neck things are rated to right an unconscious person sometimes, but it's not guaranteed.

Type I is designed to right an unconscious person - but nobody's going to wear one of these on a Laser

The basic US regulation http://www.uscgboating.org/SAFETY/fedreqs/equ_pfd.htm requires one PFD (Type I, II, III, IV) be onboard for each person. It does not require Type I, II or III to be worn. My interpretation is that at Type V must be worn to satisfy regulation. In addition local regulations may impose additional requirements. In California children under 12 must where PFD whild on deck in a boat under 26 feet.

Good point Finn. If I get pulled over by the USCG for a "safety inspection" while sailing with my Musto jacket, (or the Zhik jacket) I will get nailed for improper floatation. However, I have decided to take my chances with the USCG if the regatta NOR does not specify USCG approved device.

Your not off the hook for having a USCG life jacked on board if it is not in the NOR.

Rule 40 Change rule 40 title to: PERSONAL BUOYANCY; HARNESSES; LIFE-SAVING EQUIPMENT After rule 40.1 add US SAILING prescribes that every boat shall carry life-saving equipment conforming to government regulations.

Your not off the hook for having a USCG life jacked on board if it is not in the NOR.

Rule 40 Change rule 40 title to: PERSONAL BUOYANCY; HARNESSES; LIFE-SAVING EQUIPMENT After rule 40.1 add US SAILING prescribes that every boat shall carry life-saving equipment conforming to government regulations.

Is it just me, or is that some fuzzy wording - you could read that and think that as long as my life jacket conforms to the CE regulation (used by most countries except the US) I'm good to go, especially if I am a non US based competitor who happens to be competing in a US regatta.

It would have been so much clearer if they stated "conforming to US government regulations" (if that's what they meant)

Anyone have more insight ?

Is it just me, or is that some fuzzy wording - you could read that and think that as long as my life jacket conforms to the CE regulation (used by most countries except the US) I'm good to go, especially if I am a non US based competitor who happens to be competing in a US regatta.

It would have been so much clearer if they stated "conforming to US government regulations" (if that's what they meant)

Anyone have more insight ?

The wording is like that in the event a state or local government have additional regulations.

So, then for an event run under US Sailing rules in the US, it must be a USCG approved life jacket, no if's ands or buts, correct ?

So, then for an event run under US Sailing rules in the US, it must be a USCG approved life jacket, no if's ands or buts, correct ?

I guess depending how the OA wrote the NOR/SI you could have two life jackets on board one USCG approved and one not approved.

Back