Age range?

groove

I have always been interested in sailing but I grew up in an area where there is not much water. I recently relocated to MN and I thought I could finally try it out.... I am 30, and it seems the classes are mostly geared towards children or teens at least for the small boats. Are there adults doing this?

I have always been interested in sailing but I grew up in an area where there is not much water. I recently relocated to MN and I thought I could finally try it out.... I am 30, and it seems the classes are mostly geared towards children or teens at least for the small boats. Are there adults doing this?

Plenty. I taught sailing at UCLA and all of our classes were adults..generally graduate students and older. Look for local clubs for information.

I started sailing at 48 groove and am now really enjoying my time with the rest of the similarly aged laser sailors. Some have sailed since they were kids and others like me started late - in fact since I started I've dragged 3 other friends down to start sailing. Thats the great thing about the laser - with the large numbers of boats and active Masters events, you can always find a group of friendly, helpful sailors of all levels to sail with.

If you're at all "sporty" you don't really need much in the way of formal lessons - esp. with a class full of kids. Read books, get a boat (laser of course) and get a friend to go out with you a few times to show you the ropes.

Then come back to the laser forum to ask "how do I go faster upwind, why do guys pass me downwind, why do others point higher than me etc etc ". We've all been there (and some of us still are (-;

I started sailing 5 years ago at age 50. At my club there are lots of older sailors (to the point I think we need to buy an AED). If you can't find classes geared toward adults, go to the local yacht club and see if someone gives private lessons. 4 or 5 lessons from someone knowledgeable should give you a good start. If that is too steep, buy U.S. Sailing's Learn Sailing Right and read a chapter or two each time before going sailing. Do only days when the wind is under 10 mph. 5 to 8 is ideal in your situation.

Google Laser Master's sailing. Master's sailing is for sailors 35 and up. There are still people in their 70's and 80's doing this.

Cool, thanks! There is a club not far from me that rents out Laser 420's I will go check it out. I didn't know what a 420 was so I googled it. Those look pretty fast :)

I participated in some Laser races at a nearby club. I think that I was the youngest sailor, even though I'm 54. You are not too old!

Groove:

To prevent misunderstandings, a (Club) 420 is a two-person dinghy (with a mainsail and a jib). It's not a Laser :D

Back