Age Of Sunfish By International Asso. #?

Hi all,

I was wondering if there was a way to determine the age of my sunfish by the number given to it from the international sunfish association. (lovely NH requires it for boats over 12 feet).

I tried to call the international sunfish asso but they're in Flordia till April 1 and I need to register before then.

Otherwise I have these clues.

Sunfish is all white on both the fore and aft in a kinda 1990's blue and purply off center rectangle around the word "sunfish".
Their is a hiking strap, at one time it was white.
The daggerboard is the white kind, but it used to belong to a fleet so that could mean anything.
The rudder attaches with the sprinngy pin.
It dosn't have one of those deck storage things
It does have a large "cabin" with a good size storage compartment "below deck"
It dosn't have a metal lip

Unfortunatly I can't see the serial number anywhere...most of it's been scraped off the deck. It's between 1990 and 1995. I think I'll put 90 on the paperwork to be on the safe side. It has a 2003 sail but definatly no older than '95

Unfortunatly I can't see the serial number anywhere...most of it's been scraped off the deck. It's between 1990 and 1995. I think I'll put 90 on the paperwork to be on the safe side. It has a 2003 sail but definatly no older than '95
As Eric W already wrote, the number is inscribed on the (right hand side of the) transom, not the deck.

Is there a number on the sail? If so, the Class Office might be able to tell you when that number was issued. But one of the oddities of the Sunfish Class is that the number on the sail stays with the member, not the boat. For instance, if I were to get a new fish, I would still be using the same old number on the sail.

As Eric W already wrote, the number is inscribed on the (right hand side of the) transom, not the deck.

Is there a number on the sail? If so, the Class Office might be able to tell you when that number was issued. But one of the oddities of the Sunfish Class is that the number on the sail stays with the member, not the boat. For instance, if I were to get a new fish, I would still be using the same old number on the sail.

Ahh...well it's been fiberglassed most likely...I'll look but it's a long shot.

The sail number probably will not help as they are issued regardless of hull number. You could register a 1960 Sunfish today and get a brand new sail number. And I have a newer boat but a very old number on the sail as the number is my personal number.

NH doesn't really care if you have a HIN, so if you can't find it they may consider one of two things. Either the boat was built prior to 1972 or they will consider it homemade. They did that with my trailer since I couldn't determine who made it. I bought my Phantom used and the description of the boat and even the HIN did not match what on the registration the previous owner gave me. You will probably have to go to Concord and ask them what you need to get it registered.

After waiting in line for 45 minutes both the town and the dmv said i didnt need to register it. I will keep my money and if i get stopped tell that to the cop.

The transom does have a number. The boat is from the 90's....the number after the 9 was repainted/damaged so i cant see it.

Back