Age of my laser

Hi, I am new to the forums, but not new to lasers.
I just got a free laser and after some work it is going nicely. But I was wondering how old it is. I have what the original owner says is the original sail (I am not sure if it is though), but I am not sure where that is now. But on the back of the boat there is a little metal plaque that has the number 176 in it. Here is a picture. Is that really the hull number?

laser_176.jpg

So on the bow I found the the number 3481 stamped into the gel coat by the painter loop. I typed that into here and it does not come up as a valid number.

I just dug my sail and all the spars out of the garage, the sail is 3481 and all the spars have 3481 scratched into them. Any way to find the age of this boat? My dad said that in 1971 he got a new laser and its number was somewhere around 12000, so I assume my boat is from the 60's sometime.

I had a 74 model that was hull 8859. There's almost 200,000 of them now so they've build a few. There was a time when they were pumping out over 10,000 boats a year.

Cool, so 73 sounds about rite then. I took it out for the first time today. Beautiful day, about 10 to 15 knots wind. I sailed about 15 miles. And the pad eye (or whatever you call it) that holds on the traveler on the starboard side broke so I had to tie it to a gudgeon. Oh well, out comes my box of spare parts and some epoxy :)

Back