age of my boat

Raddman

I read the faq, and I'm still not sure. I can't find any numbers anywhere. It has the extra storage the newer rudder system (aluminium) a metal rub rail. it also has the angled stripes at the bow and stern. I looked in cockpit where the cockpit meets the underside of the deck and it is a very rough joint all the way around. The boat looks like several others I've seen that were made in 1976 they all had the red white and blue stripes, as does mine. I would be grateful if anyone can help. Thanks
Gene

Look for the HIN (Hull ID #) on the upper starboard corner of the transom... it's kinda embossed. The last two numbers should be the model year. The HIN is also embossed on a hidden location (PM me if you need to know its location... it's supposed to be a secret so that when thieves alter or destroy the main HIN, there is still a backup).

If it has the rear storage space, it's at least a 1971, if it has the new rudder it's at least a 1972. If it has the metal rub rail and doesn't have the rolled edge, it is not newer than 1986. So, it sounds like your Sunfish is somewhere between a 1972 and a 1986 (inclusive). Can't be any more specific without the HIN, though!

I'll try to attach a photo of the HIN... haven't tried it since Messageboard changed over... maybe it will work!

Greg

Attachments

• HIN.JPG
    HIN.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 87

Back