Age of Intensity Sunfish Sail

Alan S. Glos

OK, here's your chance to nerd out on some Sunfish trivia. I just purchased a brand new, still in the bag, all white race cut Intensity Sunfish sail from a guy who was selling a bunch of Sunfish parts and gear. It has a window and a nice, full size, black Sunfish logo, and I know that Intensity aftermarket Sunfish sails no longer have the logo (...probably a copyright issue). I am tying to find out how old my "new" Intensity sail is. So the question is: when did Intensity stop putting the logo on their Sunfish sails? If I know that date, I can assume my sail is at least that old.

For the record, Intensity makes great aftermarket parts and gear at very modest prices compared to class legal items.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Well I was in the market for a new sail in 2009-ish and was emailing Intensity Sails about them and whether they would have the logo. APS was just starting to offer a "practice sail", and I ended up buying the sail from APS, because their printed catalog showed a practice sail with a logo... but it didn't come with one. :mad:

aps-sail-ad (640x546).jpg

In the end, not a big deal, as I made a logo out of insignia cloth. The APS sail has been great, btw.

Anyway, here are some comments from Jim Myers from Intensity Sails via email from August 2009:
It should not and will not in the future but our current inventory mistakenly has logos on it. This was an error and has been corrected for future sails.
and
No legal fight. The factory used the logo in error. It is a registered trademark and we have no rights to use it so we corrected this.
That was late 2009.

So all that being said, it might date your Intensity Sail with a logo at 2009 or older.

Bill,

I am guessing you got a "new, old stock" sail. I have bought a few Red-White-Blue Intensity Sunfish sails in the last 3 or 4 years, and they did not have the logo.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Reactions: tag
My red/white/blue Intensity sail had no Sunfish logo.

Could the window be a factor?

Back