Age of 470?

SevenShadow

Hi,

I have an old 470 which I am putting back together. Does anyone have an idea what year it would be? It is a Vanguard #2838. Thanks.

IMG_0381.JPG

If I read that right it's only the 58th 470 that Vanguard built, and the 2838th in the World after the class became international. That makes it old! That is, it's a very early 1970s build.

More pictures please :D

_

Will post more pictures this weekend. It has been quite a project to put this boat back together, but it is getting there.

Looks fine generally, though the pictures don't show that much detail because of the resolution (and shadows). What/who have you used as sources for the layout? Do you still have unanswered questions?

_

Hi, I can get some better pictures.

Mostly, I used the MacKay layout to get a sense for things. When it came to me, a lot of the control were on the thwart. I have almost all of them running back now, but I still need to do some work to run the vang back properly.

One question that I did have is how to run the centerboard. The continuous vang and cunningham make sense to me, but I am not sure what makes sense as far as cleating the centerboard. Do you just have the centerboard stay in place with friction? Otherwise, it isn't clear to me how I raise and lower the board from either side easily.

One thing that is a bit of a bummer with this boat is that the main mainsheet cleat is on the floor of the cockpit rather than on the aft end of the centerboard trunk. I was trying to think if there was a way to extend the trunk aft, but for now I am just leaving it where it is as it isn't the biggest deal ever.

Thanks for your guidance with this.

Mostly, I used the MacKay layout to get a sense for things. When it came to me, a lot of the control were on the thwart. I have almost all of them running back now, but I still need to do some work to run the vang back properly.
The thwart sounds like a very early-70s cleat location. And not a good one! You have at least one on the top of the centreboard case with an aft lead block, which is a good way to lead most of the controls.
New boats (most of which are Mackays) have almost everything led to the side decks, but that's really pointless for anything but serious racing. The exception is the vang, which you have set up pretty nicely, although the 8:1 purchase is on the low side. Also, if you want to lead the control line below the thwart, you need to move the vang tang lower on the mast, or add a couple of blocks near the mast step.

One question that I did have is how to run the centerboard. The continuous vang and cunningham make sense to me, but I am not sure what makes sense as far as cleating the centerboard. Do you just have the centerboard stay in place with friction? Otherwise, it isn't clear to me how I raise and lower the board from either side easily.
You're on the right track - since the late 1970s, no one has cleated the centreboard. A continuous "friction" system is standard, with connected up- and downhauls and an elastic to take the slack off. It's simplest to run it just along the case, although it can be led to the side decks. (Most top racers today actually use two separate lines because (I assume) they want different purchase ratios for uphaul and downhaul. The more complicated the better I guess :confused: )

the main mainsheet cleat is on the floor of the cockpit rather than on the aft end of the centerboard trunk. I was trying to think if there was a way to extend the trunk aft, but for now I am just leaving it where it is as it isn't the biggest deal ever.
It's not a problem unless you want to change to a swiveling cleat.
Are you keeping the vintage traveller system?

_

Thanks. I do feel like I am making progress. Thanks for the note about the centerboard systems. I will look into that.

Would love a swivel cleat on the main, but I don't think it is really worth it. Rather spend that time sailing...

I do think I will change to a dual car travel system because the old one is a bit of a pain...

When I was racing the 470 (a long time ago) with my brother helming, he actually preferred the deck cleats.

For the traveller, I recommend a simple bridle. It doesn't even have to be adjustable. Just copy it from any 420.

_

Hi,

Thanks for the tip with the bridle. That is a great, cost effective solution that doesn't require a lot of work / money. For my level of sailing that should work just fine.

Back