advice to keep a laser centerboard down.

racingkyle162

hey so i went through the forms and saw a few thing about down hauls for the daggerboard that are made by APS but i live in Toronto canada and don't want to pay for shipping...etc and i am wondering what would work to keep the board down with the brake, i am also wondering this because i don't want to lose my daggerboard if i capsize so what can i do to keep the board down and secure it in the event of a capsize. advice would be great and pictures would be a great help to

Keeping it down while sailing upright is one thing. You can read the other threads about the various brakes, but none of them will do you any good when you capsize. These are two separate issues.

You must assume that at some point your centerboard WILL come out when you capsize, which requires some sort of retaining line. Most people use a length of shock cord connected to the base of the mast or the boweye. It doesn't do much to keep the board in place, but it will keep it from floating away.

All that is required to secure the centreboard in a capsize is the mandatory shockcord which runs between the centreboard and either the bow eye, mast, cunningham fairlead or the optional deck fitting (Class rule 14.f).

To keep the centreboard located where you want, this shockcord needs to have some tension, but not an excessive amount. You'll find the wedge at the back of the case probably needs to be replaced (I replace mine usually once a year), but they need to be positioned so that the centreboard actually does make firm contact with it all the time. Additionally, a 30mm square piece of material (max 2mm thick) is permitted at front top corner of the case (Class rule 14.d), we're finding that a piece of velcro (loop side) does the job well. No need for anything more fancy to keep the board located.

Torrid, I don't think I've ever had a centreboard come out of the case accidently in a capsize in the 27 years I've been racing lasers.

Back