Advice on trailering - NJ to TX

astevenson

Moving from Princeton, NJ, to Houston, TX. My 1994 laser will not be shipped by the moving company.

My question is how people feel about trailering a laser that distance. I have the Kittyhawk S/S trailer, bottom cover and everything I need to trailer it but 1,600 miles at 70mph seems tough. Agree/disagree?

Three options:

1. Tow it down over about five days.
2. Sell it and buy a new one in TX. Any shops in Houston area?
3. Shipping options - can anyone recommend one?

Finally, can anyone recommend a club in the Houston area?

Thanks in advance,

Alastair

Nothing to it, and 5 days vs. straight thru doesn't matter.

I usually put on Bearing Buddies for 20 bucks. Check hub temp with your hand each stop. Should be close to air temp. While you're at it, pull the bearings, clean and regrease. It's simple, and you should know how to do this basic maintenence.

Buy a spare. And make sure your car's lug wrench fits the trailer lugs. Khawks are usually 13/16" and most cars are 3/4". Just buy new lug nuts, not a wrench, and be done with it.

A little extra weight in the boat makes a KH ride nicer.

Al

ALLRIIIIGHT!! We get a new sailor!!!

See you all over the place!!!

Invite your friends down to visit when there "just happens to be a regatta." We can find boats for them. Just bring the sailors!!

Looking foreword to it.

Check in at KO sailing as soon as you get to Houston. Tell Rachael who sent you and she might not even hit you too hard.

Best club in Houston for Laser sailing, Seabrook Sailing Club.

I wouldn't worry about trailering it on your Kitty Hawk. When it comes to
driving 70 mph on the bearings, here it what the grand poobah at Kitty Hawk told me recently. The bearings are rated by speed AND weight. The tires may be spinning quickly but the load is extremely light (300 lbs.?). Even at 70 mph the bearings are well within their specifications.

Back in my way younger days my kitty hawk did 110 mph a few times. Its really hard to break those things just make sure the bearings are in good shape.

What size wheels are on the kitty hawk? I thought I had read somewhere *maybe here??* that the bigger they are, the easier it will be. But I think you should be fine. Good luck.

You may want to carry a few spare parts just to be safe. Cheap alternative to trying to find a trailer shop in East Nowhere!

M

SPARE TIRE!
you won't regret it.
you can pick one up at West marine or wal-mart.
nothing is worse than leaving your boat on the side of the road to go & try to track one down... hoping the boat will be there when you return.
I speak from experience.

safe travels!

Back