Advice on rigging XD Cunningham

uk144

I bought a used Laser this year and the cunningham was rigged like this>>

http://thebruntyear.googlepages.com/laser

The main control line for the cunnigham is attached to a double block..and the line is tied around the vang plate in a loop.

I have seend many other lasers rigged differently (all different!). The downside of my set up is that the main control line wears wher I tie a loop round the vang plate. Does nayone else use this set up? I haven't seen a double block used on the rope nearest the eye of the sail before.

Have you any suggestions on how to rig it such that I don't have this problem or using a more mainstream approach? (without spending loads of money).

Photos of your set up would be great.

Thanks

The best article on control system design I've found is by Shevy Gunter titled
[FONT=Times, Times New Roman]Designing Custom Control Systems

Test your custom system against the builders'!

[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, geneva]by
Shevy Gunter
[/FONT]

If you Google that heading you'll find it. It explores all manner of design combinations and permutations (legal and otherwise) with supporting diagrams and detailed analysis of the forces involved.

I've used his advice to redesign my outhaul (which now works even upwind in 20+kts) and am looking to rework my cunningham system as well.

Hey, a question for you long time subscribers to TLF - Shevy Gunter, of Dr Laser fame, seems to have dropped below the radar before my time. What gives?

Hey, a question for you long time subscribers to TLF - Shevy Gunter, of Dr Laser fame, seems to have dropped below the radar before my time. What gives?

SG became disinchanted with Laser leadership (I don't know why--at least I don't remember at 5:45 a.m. before my caffeine), also fell in love in his 50's for the first time and moved to Turkey with his bride. LooserLu posted something on it "recently," and you can find it if you do a search. SG has some lengthy posts here at TLF, again, do a search.

Thank you for providing only info to get to his copyrighted works.

SG became disinchanted with Laser leadership (I don't know why--at least I don't remember at 5:45 a.m. before my caffeine), also fell in love in his 50's for the first time and moved to Turkey with his bride. LooserLu posted something on it "recently," and you can find it if you do a search. SG has some lengthy posts here at TLF, again, do a search.

Thank you for providing only info to get to his copyrighted works.
Thanks for that Merrily. You are a font of knowledge ... SG last updated that "control systems" article in March 07, so I guess he's not out of the laser loop entirely.

Thanks for that Merrily. You are a font of knowledge ... SG last updated that "control systems" article in March 07, so I guess he's not out of the laser loop entirely.
Hi "paulmarshall",
This website, you mention, is "online" for a long time. The website (old URL and new URL) is from the Netherlands.
I just checked that website of the Netherlands, you mention (I know that website already for about 4 years.) and the URL changed into a new website, that is under construction in some areas. This website nothnig has to do with drLaser, but they show this wonderful text that originally was found of the fomer drLaser.org.

All I know is this,"paulmarshall": "SG" gave the owner of that website permition (for to me unknown reasons) to show that report about "Designing Custom Control Systems /Test your custom system against the builders!".
I just rough checked the sucstance/essence of the text to the version I did save on my harddisk for private using in 2004. There are no big different explanations to find, related to that, what version you say it is from of March 2007, "paulmarshall". I'm not your opinion, that SG really updated that there himself.

The drlaser.org is offline till now, beginning with February 2005.
I can't speak for "SG", because I am not "SG" and "SG" lives and sails about 3000 kilometers away from me at Istanbul/Turkey. I live in the middle of west-Germany. All I am able to say is, he did sail the Laser, active in 2007, also.
I probably think that I know about some reasons, why "SG" is quiet, but I do not know if those reasons, that I probably know, are the actual ones. I am sure, if "SG" really wants, that we should know his actual reasons for his quietness and why his drLaser.org is offline up to now, he would write those reasons here himself.
As long he decides to not tell himself his actual reasons, we have use this wonderful forum to get good solutions to all related questions about sailing the Laser, and Laser politics, etc..

laserjosh said:
what sort of rope or string is used on the xd cunningham traveller line?.
F.e. I use:

1st cascade (the rope that runs through the grommet of the mainsail at the mast): "Spectra Samson Spectron 12 diameter 1/8" (3 millimeters), length: ~ 1 meter. One end of that line is fixed to the vang and the opposite end is knotted to a HK 407 block.

2nd cascade: {"SG" advised also here for his famous "6:1"-Cunningham: Spetra Samson Spectron 12, diameter 1/8" (3 millimeters) - but I made the experience, that that Spectra doesn't had enough "grip" at the curry-cleats at the deck} Any sort of good "Dyneema"-rope of diameter 4 millimeters, length ~4 meters or more. That line runs though the HK 407 and f.e. another HK 406 (that HK 406 is fixed to the vang with a shakle).

What you get is "10:1"-Cunningham (..which is for those, that have no muscles in the arms..). If you take a HK405, instead of the HK 406, you get a "8:1" vang, wich is good enough.

BTW:
"SG"'s 1:6 Cunningham" really was "special", very good and used different blocks (a Ronstan RF20101, a Harken H348-carbo-air and a HK404+small-shackle.) than HK 407/406/405.
But the former chief-measurer of the ILCA, Lean Luc Michon (France), had the opinion, that this "new-6:1-drLaser-Cunningham (of March 07 2004)" is not permitted, related to the class rules of 2004 for the Laser.

Ciao
LooserLu

Back