advice needed

cwag

Ahoy, I'm 27 and plan on buying a sailboat this year, my goal is to sail around the world, then continue and stop along the way at different islands and countries I wonder how do I keep myself financially stable, if I dedicate myself to sailing and don't come back for x amount of time the last thing I would want is to come back with nothing, no job, no source of income how do I prepare myself, is it possible to tale online courses throughout my voyage and come back with some sort of degree hopefully in engineering or what, for all of you who are already living the dream what do you do??? And another thing my wife doesn't share the same adventure seeking spirit as I do, do I leave I love her but I don't think she would ever consider this lifestyle what do I do???

Ahoy, I'm 27 and plan on buying a sailboat this year, my goal is to sail around the world, then continue and stop along the way at different islands and countries I wonder how do I keep myself financially stable, if I dedicate myself to sailing and don't come back for x amount of time the last thing I would want is to come back with nothing, no job, no source of income how do I prepare myself, is it possible to tale online courses throughout my voyage and come back with some sort of degree hopefully in engineering or what, for all of you who are already living the dream what do you do??? And another thing my wife doesn't share the same adventure seeking spirit as I do, do I leave I love her but I don't think she would ever consider this lifestyle what do I do???
get a life insurance policy on her, and "oops", presto money for when you get home. (just kidding) get a job commercial fishing, you'll make good money, and learn a trade that is all over the world and usually looking for help.

Sailing for beginners the first time can be exciting and a little foreboding at the same time. If you are a first, time sailor and do not know about the sailboat you should familiarizes your self and study up on the subject. You do not want to get into trouble and not know how to handle the situation.

I've got a bachelors degree in engineering and I wouldn't suggest taking engineering online,

If you can get some books and teach yourself that is an option, maybe study for your captains license?
I've found some textbooks on ebay for about $5 with shipping. Personally I prefer print to digital especially if you're sailing.

If you're creative why not think of something that you can make while at sea? Then when you go to different islands you can hopefully sell some to locals (find out if it's legal in the country you're visiting first)

It might be valuable experience for certain jobs, especially being a ship captain ect.

You could also write a book or ebook about your journey, you will definitely have many experiences to share after sailing around the world

Back