Advice from Experienced sailors

D3AN

Hello every one,

My name is Dean, im 19, live in london.. Currently manager of a bar, in kensington, and i just joined this forum today... Been looking through it, and it seems to be very helpful, and it's active which is a bonus!

I've been speaking to UKSA and im looking at doing there 'ocean graduate' course.. im very new to sailing, and dont have many logged miles.. Do you think this is a good way to get into it.. Any adivce, and tips would be greatfully appreciated!

Thnxs a lot for any help you may be able to give me..
Dean

Dean,
I am also new to the forum AND am a novice laser sailor. I am, however, a professional yacht captain and have sailed around the world amongst many of the best sailors/yachtsmen. My experience tells me that the very best sailors are the people who have learned to master the skill of dinghy sailing. They are the one's who are able to handle the 120 ft. + sailing yachts with skill and confidence.
I would recommend that you concentrate on the skills of sailing a dinghy first, and then worry about learning to handle a larger vessel.
I hope this helps.
Ken

Hey, welcome to the world of sailing! :D

First thing i did when i started sailing was join a club. Clubs are great. why? they have sailors, boats and facilities. As long as the club you choose is active and friendly, you should find someone to sail with or a boat to sail on by yourself easily. Some people are hell bent on getting a racing dinghy as a first boat (i.e. A Laser), you can but it makes it a lot easier if you sail something that requires less skill first off.
You're totally on the right track in contacting local associations, as they will be a great help in guiding you to a club, and offering other advice on sailing in general. The great thing about dinghy sailing is that its such a social sport. I hope i've helped! Cheers mate

Been very helpful guys, any advice gived is greatfully appreciated...
I'm doing the 'competent crew' in a few weeks down in the solent... See if i get 'the feel' for it :p

i think i will, i love water sports... always have.. im also qualified diver.. anyway, better go... gotta go open the bar, once again.. Thanks..

dean

Check out http://www.queenmary.org.uk/ - this is probably the closest club to Kensington. Queen Mary is a big club, good training facilities. Or if you want sea sailing then there are clubs at Bexhill, Eastbourne and Hastings on the south coast - bit closer than the Solent. Good luck!

Question to LoupGarou: when you say you are professional yacht captain, do you mean you have the qualifications, or you actually make a living out of it? What's the lifestyle like? I've always wondered what it would be like to do this as job, and daydreamed (as I sit in my office..) about switching careers. But at 45 I guess it might be too late, and the grass is always greener..:confused:

Note to Merrily - you may want to switch this to the general discussion section as we don't see to have anything properly laser related here!!! Unless I became a professional Laser sailer - but I'm DEFINITELY too old - not to say incompetent - for that...

chrisfsi said:
Note to Merrily - you may want to switch this to the general discussion section as we don't see to have anything properly laser related here!!! Unless I became a professional Laser sailer - but I'm DEFINITELY too old - not to say incompetent - for that...

We'll keep it here for now. It's on the cusp, with talking of dinghy sailing to learn to handle yachts. :D

hehe, does anyone know a good sailing forum?
dont get me wrong, this is one.. but im not into Laser sailing, just a general all-around sailing forum would be good... an active one?

Dean x

chrisfsi said:
Question to LoupGarou: when you say you are professional yacht captain, do you mean you have the qualifications, or you actually make a living out of it? What's the lifestyle like? I've always wondered what it would be like to do this as job, and daydreamed (as I sit in my office..) about switching careers. But at 45 I guess it might be too late, and the grass is always greener..:confused: quote]

I am actually a professional yacht captain. I get paid and everything.:D It is a great lifestyle for the right people. We have to give up alot of regular activities and pleasures that others have. A great example is laser sailing. I bought my wife a brand new laser in 2000 and it has probably only been sailed 20 times. We do have a house, but in 2005 only spent a combined total of 8 weeks there. We will also never be able to have children (that could also be a perk of our lifestyle:) ). I don't think it is ever too late to do it professionally. It may be too late to aspire to running a 40+ meter boat, but there are lots of smaller boats and the industry is always looking for quality crew.

I don't want to get this thread too far off topic, but PM me if you want more info.
Best
Ken

Back