Advice for care and maintenance of new Sunfish

jonclark

I am considering buying a cover (SUNBRELLA MARINE) for my sunfish that will reside in the Caribbean. Is it worth the $160-$260 investment?
Would you recommend what if any areas or surfaces of the boat should be waxed for everyday care and use in salt water . Any advise on the care and maintenance to prepare for the Boat for 6-9 months of storage. I can put it in a shaded boat deck. I was considering the cover and wrapping with blue tarp.

A cover is always a good idea and worth the modest cost. The sun, not water, is the real enemy of the hull and sail as the UV rays do a number on both. Salt water is harder on the aluminum spars more than anything.
A fresh water rinse as often as you can do it for the hull, blades, spars and sail will be a big help.

Alan Glos

I am considering buying a cover( SUNBRELLA MARINE) for my sunfish that will reside in the Caribbean. Is it worth the $160-$260 investment?
Would you recommend what if any areas or surfaces of the boat should be waxed for everyday care and use in salt water . Any advise on the care and maintenance to prepare for the Boat for 6-9 months of storage. I can put it in a shaded boat deck. I was considering the cover and wrapping with blue tarp.
Jonclark, the cover is a must, the tarp is not a good idea, they migh bleed and stain the decking. Ullman Sails here in Sarasota has a good one, you can also find them @ APS. Intensisty sails has an inexpensive one but it only covers the deck, you want to cover as much as possible.
William

I am considering buying a cover( SUNBRELLA MARINE) for my sunfish that will reside in the Caribbean. Is it worth the $160-$260 investment?
One more thing, we live in west Florida were the sun is also very strong, we use Nu-Finish (orange bottle) once or twice a year on our 3 Sunfish, it is very easy to apply and beats off the salt water and sun. Do the entire boat except the seating area and the cockpit floor. Have been using this product for our cars and our Boston Whaler for years, its keep them looking like new.
William

One more thing, we live in west Florida were the sun is also very strong, we use Nu-Finish (orange bottle) once or twice a year on our 3 Sunfish, it is very easy to apply and beats off the salt water and sun. Do the entire boat except the seating area and the cockpit floor. Have been using this product for our cars and our Boston Whaler for years, its keep them looking like new.
William
Interesting. I've been using the Nu-Finish for a few years on my cars after my father-in-law recommended it a while back. I haven't thought to use it on one of my Sunfish, but I might try that out next spring. Thanks for the idea.

cheers,
tag

Interesting. I've been using the Nu-Finish for a few years on my cars after my father-in-law recommended it a while back. I haven't thought to use it on one of my Sunfish, but I might try that out next spring. Thanks for the idea.

cheers,
tag
Hey Tag,
Give it one coat of Nu-Finish, then a week later a 2nd coat, it should realy make the fiberglass glow.
William

A cover is always a good idea and worth the modest cost. The sun, not water, is the real enemy of the hull and sail as the UV rays do a number on both. Salt water is harder on the aluminum spars more than anything.
A fresh water rinse as often as you can do it for the hull, blades, spars and sail will be a big help.

Alan Glos
Thanks,
I took your advise and ordered one made by Harken.

Jonclark, the cover is a must, the tarp is not a good idea, they migh bleed and stain the decking. Ullman Sails here in Sarasota has a good one, you can also find them @ APS. Intensisty sails has an inexpensive one but it only covers the deck, you want to cover as much as possible.
William
Thanks for the tip.I just ordered one.

Back