Class Politics Advertising question....

Okay, no one of the experienced at big events racing Laserites answer.... From what I have seen at big events at Standard sails, you are permitted to add (coloured or b/w) advertizing:
- on the sail panel (both sides) between (below) the sailnumbers and (above) the nationality letters and
around and in the sail window (letters/icons a bit transparent, so that the window still has its functionality
as a window)
- also I have seen advertizing on the boom and
- on the waterside of hull ~ in the position where the cockpit is (size of the letters/icons: ~from the
Gunwale down to ~ the waterline)
and at the transom.

Hope that helps

LooserLu

Okay, no one of the experienced at big events racing Laserites answer.... From what I have seen at big events at Standard sails, you are permitted to add (coloured or b/w) advertizing:
- on the sail panel (both sides) between (below) the sailnumbers and (above) the nationality letters and
around and in the sail window (letters/icons a bit transparent, so that the window still has its functionality
as a window)
- also I have seen advertizing on the boom and
- on the waterside of hull ~ in the position where the cockpit is (size of the letters/icons: ~from the
Gunwale down to ~ the waterline)
and at the transom.

Hope that helps

LooserLu

It does help... thanks a lot!

Without getting too detailed, advertising is basically controlled by ISAF regulation 20, which you can read all about here: http://www.sailing.org/20162.php

Your national sailing rules may have a prescription which modifies ISAF rule 80.

Finally the sailing instructions for the event may also further define the advertising (but usually within the framework of reg. 20)

Some regattas might charge you a higher entry fee if you are displaying advertising and some regattas might need to approve any displayed advertising before the event (e.g. to ensure that your adverts do not conflict or compete with those of an event sponsor e.g. they cannot have you advertising a direct competitor to an event sponsor).

Ian

Thanks everyone for the input... here is my work thus far (these are my practice sails)

DSC_0013.JPG

DSC_0016.JPG

Just before the Masters Worlds, a buddy of mine came in with a present for me. He bought some high dollar seatbelts from a German company that makes harnesses for jet planes and race cars and he got a bumper sticker with that manufacturer's name in big yellow lettering on a bklack background and "racing" written under it.

I put that sticker on the back of my Laser and although it is not my company, I am in no way affilated with it, and the company makes no products that have anything to do with sailboats, some people thought I had advertising on my boat.
Schrothsticker.jpg

Although I don't have a rule book handy, from what I can see, I don't have an issue with what you've done.

I've seen people with advertisements on pretty much any part of the boat, foils or sail you can think of. I think it is probably perfectly fine, but makes you stick out from the rest of the pack.

I've seen people with advertisements on pretty much any part of the boat, foils or sail you can think of. I think it is probably perfectly fine, but makes you stick out from the rest of the pack.

thanks for the input, i think it would look cool as well having my website on my sail :cool:

http://www.sailing.org/1999.php

It pays to actually look on the ISAF website to determine what is legal.

"20.3.1.2 Advertising chosen by the Person in Charge may be displayed on hulls, spars and sails without restriction except on the spaces reserved for identification by Appendix G of the Racing Rules and under Regulations 20.5 & 20.9."

Note: Advertising on foils is not included in the above definition, that means you cannot put any advertising on your centreboard, rudder, rudder head, tiller etc. You are restricted to the hull, spars and sail.

http://www.sailing.org/1999.php

It pays to actually look on the ISAF website to determine what is legal.

"20.3.1.2 Advertising chosen by the Person in Charge may be displayed on hulls, spars and sails without restriction except on the spaces reserved for identification by Appendix G of the Racing Rules and under Regulations 20.5 & 20.9."

Note: Advertising on foils is not included in the above definition, that means you cannot put any advertising on your centreboard, rudder, rudder head, tiller etc. You are restricted to the hull, spars and sail.

thanks, I took a look at the advertising rule. It looks like what I've done is fine

Back